Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Back to school

I'm going to pick up a class this fall, that will help me better do my job.  Something like biostats or epidemiology or research methods in public health.  I'm not really thrilled at the prospect of going back to school.  I like being out of school.  I spent 11 years on advanced education, I'm kinda tired of it, and I'd rather do other things in my free time.  But oh well. 

I've been trying to figure out "what's next."  I like what I'm doing now, but where do I want to go from here?  My boss has talked about wanting to pull all of the healthcare advocacy groups at the hospital under one umbrella, and our program being just one of those.  So maybe that's my path.  Or maybe it's into Risk Management or middle management.  I don't know.  I got a card in the mail when I got made a real employee that offered "career counseling" from the university, that's for employees.  Seemed interesting. 

Not that it's necessary right now, but eventually I'll need to figure out if I'm just going to take the classes I need post-bacc, or if I'm going to try for a DrPH.  (The PhD requires the second semester of calculus, and let's be honest, that is just never going to happen.  I was lucky I got credit for the first semester 15 years ago.)  I have to talk to the department to see if they'd take my Masters in IR.  They take one in Communications, and we had a global health concentration when I was there, and I focused on international organizations, including public health organizations.  So, I think they'd let me skip the Masters and just take the 5 core classes to get up to speed.  The question is whether I should do public health, or health care administration.  Regardless of what path I take, I still want to make use of my JD.  (By the gods, I spent enough time and money on it.)  So, even if I'm not practicing law, I still want law to be a part of what I do.  I'm interested in health care policy making (I'm about to write a policy statement to submit to a national healthcare organization).  I like the advocacy work, and discussing health in the legal context.  But I don't know.  Whatever will get me a job and will pay me good money to do work that is interesting but doesn't control my entire existence?  That's what I want to do. 

But, yeah, biostats.  Feh. 

In other news, we're leaving for vacation on Thursday.  We're taking Cora to Disney.  (Vee's going to Chicago to visit cousins with Grandma and Grandpa over Memorial Day weekend, and then staying home with her other Grandma, who's house-sitting for us.)  Vee does not like people in costume, waiting for anything, or being restrained, all of which would occur at Disney.  She does, however, greatly enjoy her cousins and their piano and her grandparents and their herd of Shih-Tzus (commonly referred to as the "ShihTs").  I would be all, "awww, I'm going to miss the baby," but she was an absolute nightmare this evening, so I'll reserve the "awwws" for when we're in Florida and away from the beastie. 

Next year, the family is talking about doing an Alaskan cruise, which I will skip and stay home with Vee.  I suppose she could go by then (she'd be almost 3 and will be potty-trained and might be less beastly), but I don't think she'd have a very good time, and frankly, neither would I.  I see pretty much zero appeal with cruising through Alaska.  I don't like wildlife.  I really don't care for nature that doesn't involve beaches/ocean.  I don't like cold weather (or extremely hot weather either, unless there's a pool).  Vacation for me involves:  culture (history, art, music, food) and/or beach/ocean.  So, horseback riding on a Moroccan beach, yes.  African safari, no.  Fall in Munich, yes.  Winter in St. Petersburg, oh hell no. 

Cora, however, has been talking about Hawaii constantly.  She really wants to go.  I've promised that, for her birthday one year, we will go.  (She was born on the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.) I think, being an epic history nerd (and American military history having been my undergraduate focus), I can come up with an appropriate "curriculum" to justify it as an educational trip and get the kids out of school in early December for a week in Oahu.  And if they don't approve it, well, screw 'em, we're doin' it anyway.  Like it'd be my first trip to truancy court.  Pffft.

4 comments:

LL said...

Cruising in Alaska is in my top 5 desired destinations list! I hate beaches with sand and jellyfish but I think I could totally do beaches of ice and wales.

Morocco is also on my top 5 list. I've been to Munich, so it's temporarily moved lower down, but it was one of my very favorite European cities and definitely one my "must return one day" list. I would like a giant Munich beer and pretzel right now. I feel like the Germans wouldn't judge a pregnant lady with a beer in her hands...

Laurie said...

Pfft. Truancy court. Guess they didn't have that when I was in school, otherwise my mom would have been in deep shit!

We just got back from 5 days in TN without R. Someone asked if it was hard being away from her and I was like, NOPE!

Totally count us in on that trip to Hawaii :)

KathleenKMM said...

You should absolutely go to Alaska! We went last year for our honeymoon and loved it so much we're going back this year. There is amazing history there - it's America's last frontier! I read three Alaskan history books this year so I can regale my husband with more fun facts.

BeeBeeZfa said...

Seriously, I did that cruise with my family before I got married and I was like, 'who cruises in Alaska?' It was literally the most amazing, incredible, stunning experience. I think everyone needs to do it once in their life. We went with Celebrity and the on ship amenities and entertainment were incredible too. Never a dull moment...