Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Kindergarten anxiety and other non sequiturs

(The kid's, not mine.)

I'm totally excited about Cora going to kindergarten (although I am NOT excited about the 7:45 a.m. start time and having to get both kids ready and drive them to school every morning because Husband will still be at work... but I also think that the day should start at noon).  The Spanish immersion seems awesome, and I'm so excited that my kids will learn Spanish at such a young age.  I had to wait until my freshman year of high school to start Spanish classes, and by then it's just too late to ever speak like a native speaker.  My kids will be bilingual, hopefully multilingual (French is eventually required in the curriculum as well), and I think that's just awesome. 

Cora's not so thrilled about kindergarten.  She has it in her head that she will have to do "homework," and that it's something she doesn't want to do.  (I suspect this is coming from Grandma, who can't be positive about anything, ever.  She is the very definition of Debbie Downer.)  I told her she already does "homework."  Her violin practices are homework.  Her music theory book is homework.  Homework is just practice for something she learned in a lesson from her teacher.  She was whining again last night about how violin was hard.  (She wasn't even working on something hard.  She'd played a note too sharp, because her finger was in the wrong spot, and she started crying because I told her to fix it.  Things melted down from there.)  Finally, to convince her that hard work and practice pays off in the end, we first watched some old videos of her playing about a year ago, and then I video taped her playing the same song, which obviously was much much better.  Then we watched some YouTube videos of Lindsey Stirling.  I'm not sure I approve of the dancing around while playing violin, but Cora seems to like it quite a bit.  Then she decided incorporating shaolin into violin was better, and proceeded to play Allegro while doing kicks.  Strangely enough she was more in tune and loosened her death grip on the violin's neck (which is part of the problem with her going sharp).  I'd give it a try myself, but I'd probably break a hip.

And yeah, I know, hard work actually sucks and I'd much rather be taking a nap myself.  I worked very hard this week on some music that our director gave us on Tuesday, saying that we were going to play them for a concert the first weekend in May.  He made us commit before showing us the music (never a good sign!).  (The music is harder than what we spent the past three months working on, ugh.)  But today he changed his mind.  We aren't working on that music.  We'll be working on different music, more "complex" music (double ugh) and we won't have another concert until the fall.  I guess that gives me more time to put work in over the summer.  The concert on Good Friday was great.  Apparently we're going to make the Dubois piece a regular event, if the choirs are cool with it.  Cora really liked the concert and has been asking to hear the "Jesus songs" (a temporary relief from Austin Moon and Taylor Swift). 

Tomorrow we're having a "fashion show" and having her besties over to participate.  She's quite the fashionista.  We watched some on YouTube the other night to prepare; she spent the time critiquing Chanel's fall line.  She also picked out a hot boy model for her godfather, saying "He's pretty, Uncle Steven will like him."  Yep.

5 comments:

Butterflyfish said...

I love how she picked out a model for Uncle Steven LOL

Kate Sherwood said...

I wish I could see Cora doing kicks while playing the violin!

I am totally jealous of the Spanish immersion program with eventual addition of French. I hope she gets excited about kindergarten eventually.

Kate @ BJJ, Law, and Living

Kate Sherwood said...

Apparently, I am in an "eventually" mood tonight. Just reread my comment.

Kate @ BJJ, Law, and Living

Grace said...

Sounds like girlfriend's got good taste in picking out guys for people.

CM said...

I think most kindergarteners don't have homework. Maybe once in a while they ask you to draw a picture or read a story or something.