Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Adventures in Travels

Wednesday

5:30 a.m.  Wake up and leave for airport to catch 6:55 a.m. flight to Charlotte, where I will catch a connection to Reagan airport in DC.  Have to drive myself to airport, with plans to have Husband pick up the car later, so I didn't have to get the whole family up that early.

6:00 a.m.  Arrive at airport, go through security to get microwaved and groped.

6:15 a.m.  Sit in the terminal.

6:45 a.m.  Told that the flight has been delayed until 8:30.  Stand in line to rebook connection to later flight.

7:00 a.m.  While still in line, US Airways calls to tell me that the flight has been delayed until 8:30.  (Yeah, thanks.)

7:05 a.m.  Still in line, US Airways calls again to tell me that the flight has been delayed until 7:45 instead.  I can still make my connection, so I leave the line.

7:40 a.m.  Told that the flight has been delayed until 8:30 again.  Get back into line.

8:00 a.m.  Seat held on the 11:30 connection from Charlotte to D.C., in case I miss my 10:00 connection.

8:30 a.m.  Still not boarding.

8:50 a.m.  Finally boarding.  The 9:15 flight to Charlotte also lines up to board.  Both flights are half full.

9:00 a.m.  Told plane needs to power down and be "rebooted."  One lady asks if she can get on the 9:15 flight instead, because if she misses her Charlotte connection, she will not be able to get to the Caymans until the next day.  The flight attendant tells her this flight will get her there sooner, and not to worry.

9:15 a.m.  Other flight to Charlotte takes off.  We're still on the ground.

10:00 a.m.  Told to get off the plane.

10:05 a.m.  Call US Airways to figure out how the hell they're going to get me to DC since apparently this flight isn't happening ever. 

10:30 a.m.  Told by US Airways they can get me to Charlotte later in the afternoon and I'd be in DC in the evening.  However, if there were any other delays, I would not get there today.  (I was supposed to be in DC about 11, the entire purpose of flying there was to get a half day in DC to myself.)  I check the flight status online, and it now says my flight is scheduled to depart at 4pm.  Cancel my flight all together and get a refund.  Curse US Airways and decide when I am Queen of the World, they shall all be my slaves and/or line the walls of Queens Landing with their heads.  (Also had been intermittently reading Game of Thrones on my iPhone.)  

10:35 a.m.  Drive back home, pick up my hairspray, shampoo, conditioner and some other airplane contraband and drive to Maryland instead. 

11:00 a.m.  Get on interstate.

11:15 a.m.  US Airways calls to tell me my flight has been delayed again.  (Idiots.)

5:00 p.m.  Find outlet mall.  Buy things at outlet mall.

7:00 p.m.  Leave outlet mall much poorer but with pretty new things to wear.

8:00 p.m.  Arrive at hotel in Bethesda, have dinner at fabulous little Italian restaurant and drink half a bottle of wine.  Think it would go really well with the gelato I planned to have in DC and didn't get.


Thursday

9:00 a.m.  Conference

7:00 p.m. Met friends for dinner in Bethesda at awesome little sushi place.  They were an hour and a half ahead of me on the road on Wednesday, in the process of moving to Baltimore.  (She's a vet, and joining a practice there.  She's been working out of the country for a nonprofit vet program, so we'll probably see them a lot more now than we have been.)

9:00 p.m.  Hang out at Starbucks to use their wireless and put some finishing touches on my presentation.


Friday

9:00 a.m.  Conference

1:45 p.m.  Skip a session of the conference to meet one of my co-presenters and set up for our presentation which is supposed to start at 2:15. 

2:15 p.m.  No one is there yet, including the other presenters.  Realize that the conference did not give any time between the last session and our session.

2:35 p.m.  People finally show up.  We give presentation.  We obviously go over, since we started 20 minutes late, and people have to leave because they have flights to catch.

4:00 p.m.  Change clothes, get explanation of how to use the Metro from the hotel staff.

4:30 p.m.  Take Red Line in, and then catch Blue Line to Federal Triangle.  Lurk outside of FBI building like a fangirl, and imagine the awesomeness of getting to work there.  Walk around for a while to get to the Yellow line to meet friends from grad school in Old Town Alexandria. 

7:00 p.m.  After pre-gaming at friend's apartment, have dinner at most amazing Tapas restaurant, along with several pitchers of Sangria.  Go to another place for drinks.

No idea what time.  Go back to friend's apartment.  More bourbon.  Have lovely time with old friends I rarely get to see anymore.  (One I hadn't seen since 2006.)


Saturday

2:00 a.m.  Drunk-navigate Metro back to my hotel.  (Thankful for the kindness of strangers.)  Pass out.

7:30 a.m.  Groan about how much I drank. 

8:45 a.m.  Pack, lumber about, finally make it out of the hotel.

5:00 p.m.  Arrive home.  (Feeling a bit rough, I decided to take it easy on the drive home, adding on an extra hour to the trip.)

5:15 p.m.  Nap.

6:30 p.m.  Wake up, eat dinner.

11:00 p.m.  Bed


So, there it was.  It was still a fun trip, even though I didn't get my day in DC.  I had big plans.  Immigration rally, gelato, lurking outside of the FBI, and the pre-Raphaelite exhibit at the Smithsonian.  One out of four, oh well. 

It was awesome to catch up with old friends though.  I loved my time in graduate school, and it's nice to see my classmates again.  I have to admit I get a little jealous though; they took the chances and went to DC.  I stayed in KY.  They have awesome tapas bars and exciting, glamorous jobs.  They use an app and a car comes to pick them up.  Oh well.

But here in the Bluegrass, it's warm and sunny today.  Cora has her violin recital this afternoon and an ice cream party afterwards.  I'll try not to be bitter that it isn't gelato.

No comments: