Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Stuff

Taking a brief mental health break to update the blog.  I've been working hard, and you all know how I feel about hard work. 

Managing the students, working on an event, ugh.  Plus, with Husband's schedule, I have had more than enough quality time with the children.  Particularly with the angry, beastly toddler. 

(Actually, this is her happy.  It's so hard to tell.)

In addition to being up to my ears in paperwork, people irritating me, and little people screaming at me, I've been spending my time being crafty.  I finally took my new sewing machine out of the box and used it for the first time this week.  I'm working on a bustle (that I had planned to make last year for Dragon*Con for the Steampunk ball, but I ran out of time to do the sewing by hand). 

I haven't used a sewing machine since I was a kid.  I am surprised that I remembered so much, maybe stuff my grandmother taught me sunk in afterall.  She did all kinds of sewing, crafty things.  But I was never very impressed with it, mostly because she did boring stuff.  Like, sewing her own granny bras.  I remember thinking, why would you sew a bra, why wouldn't you just buy one?  I wanted to make stuff you couldn't just buy at the store.  But I was much too lazy to learn to do the simple things first, so I could get to the more intricate.  Anyway, it was hard to learn from her, because it wasn't like she'd taken proper lessons herself.  She eyeballed a lot of stuff, made her own patterns, didn't know what things were necessarily called, she just did them.  Hard to learn that way.  And I guess I do the same thing myself now.  Improvise.  Eyeball it.  Make my own patterns.  Simple stuff anyway.  I'm not sewing any large Victorian gowns or anything, but I can sew lace onto a piece of material to make it into a bustle.  See?  Maybe I wouldn't be a total failure to my grandmother. 


 My new toy.

Mouse ears for ballet

Cora's ballet class is doing excerpts from Nutcracker.  The littles are mice, the older kids are soldiers.  So, I've made mouse ears (sewn by hand) and two tulle skirts (those don't require sewing). 

So, that's what I've been up to.  Feeling restless.  Looking for meaning and fulfillment in these little things.  Still kind of bored, even though I'm really busy.  Tired.  Kind of blah.  Winter doesn't help either.  I hate cold weather and snow, and we had both last week.  Today it's sunny and tomorrow it will be in the 50s and sunny, good for our children's advocacy day at the capitol.  And I'll be glad when that's done, because it's one less thing to worry about.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Yay! Sewing machine! Mine is still collecting dust under my table but I AM going to break it out this year to make some sort of garment for myself.

The mouse ears are adorable!

CP said...

Cora is so beautiful and so grown up! Nice job with the crafty stuff! :)