Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Progression

I'm still in the running for the double oven. Nearly the end of Week 2. Two down, 50 to go!

I promise this won't turn into a "food for the kitchen-handicapped" blog, but I need to document it somehow, and I figure blogging is good evidence to back up my performance of the aforementioned contract. (Not that the husband reads the blog anyway, although he makes claims to the contrary.)

So, I got a little bored for meal 3, didn't want to go to the store, and decided to do "breakfast as dinner." Voila! Spinach omelet and french toast for dinner:



It looked ugly, but it was tasty.


I got a little more creative for meal #4 that first week. This one was baked pork chops, using a rather expensive package breadcrumb mixture. There was a berry mixture green smoothie as well. For sides, I made mashed potatoes using only milk, not butter, which was more heart healthy but just not very tasty (cholesterol = yum). However, not pictured here, because I ate them before I remembered to take a picture, were extremely tasty mushrooms. I sauteed (ooh, cooking term!) sliced baby bellas in The World's Most Awesome Salad Dressing a/k/a the salad dressing from Nagaski Inn (our local Japanese restaurant). They just recently started selling the stuff in bottles. It's not exactly like it is in the restaurant, it's a bit thicker in the bottles. But damnation, it's tasty. When we go to Nagasaki, I will seriously drink the salad dressing. Anyway. Used on mushrooms = win.



Mushrooms are in my belly.


Not pictured is Thanksgiving dinner, which I'm totally counting, because per our agreement, if at any time I intend to cook, but he kicks my ass out of the kitchen, I get to count it. This occurred on Thanksgiving. So, instead, I poured wine for his parents, cleaned the house and set the table.

The first day of Week 2, I stepped out from my comfort zone and used an ingredient I've never cooked with before, and that's squash. I made Giada's Butternut Squash Risotto to take to friends' house for dinner.



Risotto love

The next night was a bit of a hodge-podge of things. I made chicken, using a Hawaiian marinade sauce and threw pineapple slices in for fun. The smoothie also had pineapple in it. I also made broccoli with cheese sauce (not heart healthy), and we had left-over risotto, left-over carrots and salad.


Cholesterol makes it yummy


The third meal is very simple: cheese quesadillas. Oops! Not heart healthy. It had sauteed onions and tomatoes. There's also refried beans from a can, with melted cheese on top, and Mexican rice from a box. Three ingredient minimum on the quesadillas makes it count.




And sour cream ftw!

The fourth meal of the week is not pictured, because apparently I totally forgot to take one. However, it was not terribly tasty. I cooked some steak on the stove in olive oil and thyme. The flavor was good, but the steak was kind of rubbery in texture. Didn't like it. Dead cooked cow fail. I also made broccoli and cheese again, but this time it was from a bag of frozen broccoli, and there's a definite taste difference. The House Elf assisted by making baked potatoes, but those took quite a long time, so we didn't make it for dinner, it became second dinner (not a foreign concept in this house).

The fifth meal was tonight, and is apparently on drugs. It was chicken fajitas. I sauteed green peppers and onions, then cooked chicken, used a package of seasoning, and voila, fajitas. Husband helped by chopping tomatoes and lettuce. At the same time, I was set to have dinner tonight with my law school friends, and made another batch of the butternut squash risotto to go with my friend's lasagna. So, technically, I cooked twice. Hell yeah, I rule!



Fajitas on crack

So, two weeks down. I rather enjoyed it, and (most) of it was tasty. I did, however, manage to burn myself twice. Once on the tea kettle while making Husband a cuppa. Second was tonight while making the risotto. I have yet to cut myself (knock on wood).


Also, I should totally get to count this, because it was quite an ordeal (even though it came from a kit):



Gingerbread construction.


My entire house is now covered in dried powdered sugar. But Cora had a great time and loved the finished product.


Stay tuned for more Idiots in the Kitchen next week, with three-ingredients or more (but not much more) meals.

3 comments:

Butterflyfish said...

you're rocking!

CM said...

I admire you! We used to cook regularly, but we haven't figured out yet how to do it with two kids and one parent (that would be my husband) at home. During my maternity leave I did lots of cooking and baking. I miss that.

Try putting chicken broth in the mashed potatoes. Or fat-free buttermilk. Both add flavor and are still healthy.

Squash is a staple around here, since there are so few things that grow in the winter in the Northeast. Try tossing it with olive oil and sage and roasting it in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. It's delicious and couldn't be easier.

OK, I will stop cooking vicariously through you now.

Laurie said...

Way to go! I think that since you cooked two meals in one day that you should get a free pass another day :)