Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

"You should call her 'Mummy' not 'Big Milk Thing.'"

So, week 2 of Violette...

Vee eats, sleeps, and poops. A lot. If she's awake, she's probably eating. If she's asleep, she's probably still pooping. It's a vicious cycle. We're single-handedly killing the environment. (Which is no big deal if you ask Galileo, er, I mean Rick Perry).

Breastfeeding sucks (no pun intended). Anyone who thinks breastfeeding is this magical, beautiful thing is effing crazy. Bonding between mother and child? Bullshit. I like Vee a lot better when she is not trying to rip off my nipples with her jaw of steel. There are feedings that I just have to pump, because I can't stand the pain. Generally, we nurse during the day, and then she takes a bottle (and I pump) at night, because she also takes for-frickin-ever to nurse, but she'll drink down a bottle in under ten minutes and go back to sleep. She likes the bottle better anyway. Quicker access to the ridiculous amounts of milk she drinks. I know Cora is a bad comparison, since she really couldn't breathe well enough to eat for awhile there, but Vee drinks twice as much as Cora did at this age. She also gained an entire pound between Thursday of last week and Tuesday of this week. She eats a lot. But, she's a really good baby. She's snuggly and not fussy. She sleeps well in her crib. She travels well in the car. She just doesn't care. She's mellow.

Overall, I'm still pretty tired though. Trying to get work done has been difficult. It will get better the more we get into a routine, but I'm just pooped most of the time, and it's much harder this time around since Husband had to go back to work after 1 week. I've been rather short-tempered with Cora too. Things that don't usually bother me or annoy me (as they do Husband), have really irritated me lately. I feel bad yelling at her, when I usually don't. I need to be better. The adjustment to having a baby sister is hard enough for her without me being pissy. She's a real trooper though. She's thrilled to be a big sister, and always wants to help with feeding or holding the baby. Even with changing the baby.

Working from home for the month of September, but will probably start back some hours at the clinic here soon once I run out of things to do from home. Shouldn't be too soon though. The article we submitted to be published in this journal has to be rewritten, because they want us to change it for general submission (it was supposed to be for a special issue, but that issue got canceled). So, there's that, there's a couple grant applications to work on, and there are two family law cases I'm handling that will be worked on as well.

In other news, I am actually below my pre-pregnancy weight, only one week postpartum. My cankles are completely gone! My fingers are still a little puffy, but I can wear my wedding rings again. The bad news is, we got our blood test results from our life insurance application (that we did last month). We both have ridiculously high cholesterol. So, apparently cholesterol levels rise during pregnancy, but I kinda doubt they rise this much. It's probably more that I've spent the last 9 months eating whatever the hell I've wanted, because I don't have much of an appetite during pregnancy and I barely gain any weight. Husband thinks the answer is for him to get on medication, because both his parents take cholesterol medication. I think he needs to stop eating so much damn cheese and eat some oatmeal instead. So, I'm seizing control of the household diet. Which is difficult, since our house elf keeps bringing in junk food. For instance, I go to the store yesterday and buy a crapload of fruits and veggies. He buys Pop Tarts. Yes, I would much rather eat Pop Tarts. But I don't want to stroke out in my early thirties. Instead, I'm giving the green smoothie thing a try. (My college roommate is currently doing it and she swears by it.)

3 comments:

Colleen said...

happy for you that Vi, so far, is a mellow baby!

Laurie said...

What is the green smoothie thing?

Download an app on your phone called Fooducate. You can scan the barcodes on different foods and it will give you a grade. A for healthy, obviously, and F for not-so-healthy. Sadly, I scanned a ton of things in our pantry and there were a lot of D's. I think if i ate only the A's I would starve to death. Actually, I'd probably just be incredibly bitchy!

Googie Baba said...

Congratus on baby Vi!