Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Careering

I get together with some law school classmates every Monday night to have dinner and watch whatever TV show we're currently watching. Right now it's True Blood. (And ohmygoodgod, is Alexander Skarsgard the most beautiful man on the planet. Yummy.)

Anyway, one of my friends told me tonight that a guy from her firm [where she is currently doing contract work] is the one who got the job I wanted. She said he had over 5 years experience in insurance defense. Ugh, figures. How can I compete with that? She thought it would make me feel better. I dunno. I guess it's nice to know that it wasn't just that they aren't into me, it's that there was someone much more qualified than me. But really, that doesn't make me feel better. It's almost like it's hopeless then. Short of going crawling back to the mid-size insurance defense firm that pushed me out during my maternity leave, I'm running low on law firm contacts. No one is hiring. And when they actually are, why would they hire me over some guy with 5 years of experience?

My other friend mentioned tonight that her firm plans to hire another associate next year... of course, her firm is over an hour away. She's been commuting and has an apartment in the other city, and if the job works out, they plan to put their house up for sale after the first of the year. I don't know if I can do the commuting thing again. If the job paid enough, we could always move to the state capitol, which would be halfway between cities, but still would be a pain to commute. And I don't really want to put kids in school there. (Or in most of the small towns around here.) I dunno. Something to consider if a position opens, I suppose. It isn't as though I wouldn't have been doing a ton of driving if I'd gotten the insurance defense job, and there are plenty of folks out there that do a much longer commute than a 1-hour drive.

Who knows. I suppose it's pointless to speculate now. We'll find out if we get the grant money sometime in December or January and then I could be a full time employee at the University for five years. In that time, I would probably go back to get some sort of additional degree (since the University would pay for it). Maybe in health administration or something.

And of course, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm sending my resume to yet another insurance defense firm that probably won't hire me, but again, will probably give me an interview because I'm just so damn fascinating. They do some med mal too, and hey, I'm all over the med mal. But they want someone with more experience than I actually have. That's the thing, I think. My resume reflects 11 years in the legal profession, most of which was spent in insurance defense. But I've only practiced for 2 years, and thanks to the last year of solo practice, is heavy in family law. While I now have a ton of courtroom experience, it's with family court judges and district court judges. My deposition-taking skills are probably non-existent at this point, and I haven't been to trial in over a year. At this point, I don't know what firm would want me over a new grad who they can pay cheaply and work to death, or an associate with 5 years of experience who they pay a little more and can greatly rely upon. Ugh.

2 comments:

Paragon2Pieces said...

how frustrating! fingers crossed things work out in a way that makes you happy some time soon.

Googie Baba said...

I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating this all is. Hang in there.