Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Still Not Into Me

I applied to yet another insurance defense firm. This one wanted someone with 2-4 years in insurance defense. Okay, so I have 4 years of paralegal work in insurance defense, and (almost) 2 years of lawyerin'. But still. I'm awesome. And... no response.

Seriously. It's starting to hurt my feelings that no one's jumping at giving me an interview. I mean, the last insurance defense firm (that ultimately hired no one) was excited to interview me. Why is it that people who want to give me a job have no openings, and people who have openings don't want me? Blah.

Anyway, I got a tip about a new program where there's some money to pay an hourly fee for some domestic relations work out in boofoo. Not thrilled about traveling to boofoo places to practice family law in an unfamiliar venue, but hey, beggers can't be choosers. And I'm a few months from being able to get on the discount divorce list (our local bar association does reduced-fee referrals for the folks who don't qualify for pro bono, but can't afford to pay full price for a lawyer).

Oh well. I'm just trying to get those credit cards paid off so that I have a little extra wiggle-room to figure out what the hell to do with myself. At some point it's going to become "shit or get off the pot" when it comes to solo practice. A friend offered a year ago to put up a website for me. I've never gotten him the content. There just keeps this part of me that thinks, "Someone will hire me eventually. Prince Charming will swoop in, offer me a big salary, and I'll slave away for the billable hour at a living wage." I think not. And working for the non-profit is fine, but things are not getting better with the individual from the other organization, she's annoying the piss out of me. My responses to her are getting increasingly rude, and at some point the response is just going to be "fuck off." Which probably won't go over well.

So, I can either sit around and bitch about my lot in life, or I can do something about it. I figure the timeline is this: I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing for right now, pop out a baby, and after the new year, seriously start practice-building. Like, advertising for clients, getting office space here in Mexington (where there aren't any law offices), brush up on my Spanish and target my practice to the folks in my neighborhood. That's old people and Latinos. Estate planning, probate, social security, and immigration. So, that's about six months to accomplish that. I've done some estate planning and probate recently, so starting to get the hang of it. But I need to go bug the local immigration clinic about volunteering so I can get my feet wet. I could get a lot of referrals from my neighbor who works at the university in a science department where they hire a lot of international students and employees. She was complaining that her Canadian employee spent thousands of dollars in legal fees to be "legal." I don't see why folks can't give me thousands of dollars in legal fees, right? I just need to know what I'm doing.

That's the problem with being a solo and a young lawyer. During the time where you're just supposed to be learning to actually do your job, you also have to build and run a business. That sucks. I hate the business end of things. But I am more confident that I know what I'm doing, or at least have the tools to find out when I don't. Two years practicing law, over a decade in the profession as a whole. Hasn't killed me yet.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Just wanted to say I came across your blog today and love it! I'm also a mom and navigating the legal industry is hard (I recently left a big firm to stay at home, and also started a blog about it!). Good luck with everything!

Michael said...

Some employers are so rude - I hate it when they can't even be bothered to reply to applicants!!

Bad show! :-(