Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Busy busy

I've gotten several new cases over the past week, most of which are even paid, hurray! Makes up for my contract work being slow at my friend's office.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this solo practice stuff. There are certainly benefits to it. For instance, doing my work in my bed propped up with the body pillow. Awesome. Sure, it's not stellar money, but there doesn't seem to be stellar money to be found around here. There was a job posting that I did not apply to, where the starting salary is $35K a year for a job where I'd have to drive 30 miles one way to get to the office (it's in a surrounding county, but it's on the east side, and I live on the west side... also traffic getting there is a nightmare). And it's exactly what I'm doing now, except working for someone else's small firm. That's okay. I'm making about that with what I'm doing now. Also, I can deduct a bunch of expenses, so I'm not paying as much in taxes. And, usually, I don't work that hard. This week I worked very hard, but it was an action-packed week.

Anyway, I worked on my website content and asked a friend to look it over and get some feedback. I want my website to not just be "here's my info and what I practice, call me," but I also wanted it to be informational about the areas of law I practice, particularly concerning domestic relations. Just basic stuff like "what happens in a divorce."

So, check one thing off of my to do list. Only about a billion more to go!

2 comments:

Michael said...

"I've gotten several new cases over the past week, most of which are even paid, hurray!" - always a bonus!!! :-)

But I Do Have a Law Degree said...

I have to say, I am very impressed! I half thought about trying to go solo when I left my last law firm. But the whole process seemed so overwhelming. And despite five years of firm experience, I completely lack practical skills (speaking in court, depositions, etc.)- things you actually need to practice law! Congrats on getting started. One of these days I may be emailing you for advice. :)