Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Mother's Love

I'm not sure if anyone frequents Jezebel and saw this today. Eek. I don't yet have two kids, but I really hope I would never think it would be "not so bad" to lose one of them, so long as I didn't lose the other, even in my "darkest" moments. I don't know how it is to have two kids, and how exactly you love two kids "equally" but "differently." But, whew, I'm pretty confident I'll figure it out without all that noise. Damnation, sounds like ol' girl needs to get out of the house and away from the kiddies for awhile and get some perspective.

Honestly, I don't think I was treated particularly well by either of my parents as a kid, so maybe it's possible to not be the favorite child even when you're the only child. I dunno. I'm sure parents probably have more of a connection with one child, just as children usually have more of a connection with one parent. But even if I completely butt heads with the second kid (much like Husband does with Cora), I don't think that's about loving a child less, I think that's about the frustrations of parenthood and interacting with other human beings. You always love your family, just some days it takes restraint to not throttle them, some family members more than others. Oh well. Hopefully neither of my kids will be talking to their therapists some day about how I didn't love them enough.

Anyway, I love that my kid is a stubborn, sassy little bossy boots. Not to mention, I totally *get* her. Even when we're having a battle of the wills and she's being infuriating, I generally know how to deal with her, because... she is my mini me. Even when she's being irrational about something, I usually understand it and understand her, whereas she drives Husband completely nuts (as do I, apparently). I've always heard parents not getting along with their kids because they're too much like them. I don't really understand that. Sure, we'll have battles of the wills, but ultimately, I respect that. I want my kid to be strong-willed and independent, even when that means defying me. Because I was that kid, opinionated and willful, and I wanted to be respected for it instead of reprimanded for being my own person with my own mind. I only insist that my child be respectful and polite, and follow the rules that are not negotiable.

So, on to today's positive thing: my bossy little bunny and her musical talent. We've been lazy about the violin lately, but she really loves playing the thing. She's done very well in learning to respect the instrument, and even with right-handed bowing. Mostly though, she loves to sing. Okay, so she's still rather tone deaf. But she's improving greatly, she's even working on some vibrato. She loves to sing, she always has. Her two favorite songs are "Once Upon a Dream" from Sleeping Beauty and "Castle on a Cloud" from Les Miz, and she knows all the words. She is obsessed with Disney Princesses, and she wants me to sing to her at night from Disney movies, which has forced me to learn new songs and strain to remember the old ones. (Thingamabobs? I've got 20.) We'll be working on a series of Italian Arias next...


I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I saw that...I don't know what I would do without either of my children. I now have a boy and a girl...

Googie Baba said...

I saw that too. I have been disturbed since reading it. I have a boy and a girl. They are very, very different from one another. My boy is sweet and laid back. The girl is feisty, and even though she can't talk, she is always giving us a piece of her mind. Honestly, they are so different that I can't imagine comparing them. I love them both fiercely.

I have found out a few things about this woman. She is a part of the quiverfull movement, and she is very young. I know that my mother had a lot of kids because her religion forbid birth control. And men were held in higher esteem. I think this is why my mom had such a difficult time with her daughters. It was just a lot of self hate directed towards us.

I think this woman is very immature, and committed to having a lot of kids. It is such a bad combination.