This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Juggling and ponies

I'm still juggling this whole practicing law/working at home/raising a toddler/trying to build a practice thing with a healthy dose of insanity. It's exhausting. I'm so ready to go punch a time clock and send that kid to full time daycare, it's not even funny.

Coming up with things to do is difficult, especially at the point it was so effing hot, just stepping outside to get into the car makes me need a nap. We've gone to the pool several times this summer, but sometimes, it's just too hot to even do that. So we've gone to the library, to the pet store and to the indoor playgrounds.

Last Monday, I took Cora to this indoor bouncing place, along with Cora's friend J (and her mom and little sister). It was pretty empty on a weekday morning, which was nice, because hoards of screaming children is my own personal hell. (I can only spend so long in the Chick Fil A play area before I start twitching.) At one point, while the girls were playing skee ball, two little boys came up and asked if they could have a token because they wanted to play too. I'm like, WTF? No, go ask your mother for a token. Scram. Get off my lawn.

However, sometimes you can get away with taking a toddler to adult events. For instance, a well-connected friend of mine got us the hook up for free tickets to the grand prix event (jumping horsies) at the horse park's new arena. The arena was built in anticipation of the horsey games next month, that will engulf our already traffic-congested city, and since I plan to stay far away from the horsey game madness, it was a nice opportunity to get to see the arena. We also managed to crash the VIP event (my friend's mom is on the horsey foundation's board), where there was free booze. (I didn't partake, I was the DD. But Husband was certainly happy with it.) There was also important networking to be had. Let's just say, I don't normally run into the governor's wife, shake her hand and introduce myself, at the events I commonly attend. Anyway, Cora, of course, was completely thrilled by all the jumping horsies. Each one's name was "horsey" and after each rider completed the course, Cora clapped enthusiastically and then announced that it was now "horsey's turn!" If a horse knocked down a pole on the jump, she'd lament "Oh no! Fall down!"

Little lady

After the event, Cora was still awake and in a very good mood, so we decided to take a chance and take her out to a local restaurant, where normally we would never take our toddler. (The water boy was completely befuddled by filling up the sippy cup.) When we got there, Cora was still happy as a clam, and asked if she could have ice cream. So, while the guys drank more cocktails, Cora indulged in chocolate ice cream at 10pm. (Which I spoon-fed to her, so her dress wouldn't be covered in it.) By the time we got home it was 11pm, and she had fallen asleep in the car on the way home. She was still smiling as we got her changed into pajamas, and all the next day continued to chatter on about jumping horsies. We got some really adorable pictures of her, which my friend sent to his mother, and they want to have Cora out to the farm to visit their miniature ponies. I'm not sure riding the ponies will happen though. Cora was pretty freaked out by the carousel last week at Monkey Joe's. Like completely terrified in an epic way.

Anyway, more fun with toddlers... So, I've been volunteering for this program that's sort of a nonprofit partnership between the university's hospital and a public interest legal program. It serves the families of children who are patients at the hospital and clinic, concerning legal issues that effect the health and well-being of the children. I've done a few landlord-tenant cases for them, and I've got a defamation defense case in district court coming up. It's really awesome, and I mentioned to the attorney there that if they get the grant money they're seeking and can hire a full time attorney, I'd love to be that attorney. Well, nothing on the grant yet, but she called me last week and asked if I would be interested in taking the part-time coordinator position, which has been filled by social workers in the past, but she feels would be better served by having an attorney in that role. It's a variety of tasks, including sorting through the referrals, dealing with Medicaid/insurance issues, educating the physicians and staff on recognizing legal issues, fund-raising, advocacy and even lobbying. The hourly wage is decent, and it would still give me the opportunity to actually practice law. I'd be a "temporary" university employee, which is basically a permanent employee that doesn't get benefits. But I would potentially be writing the grant proposal to fund myself a full time position, which would be totally awesome. So I said absolutely! She said she would try to sell me to the doctors making the decision.

Today I had to bring Cora into the clinic for a shot, and her office is in the clinic, so I told her I'd be in about 3pm before Cora's shot to drop off the files I'm finished with, and pick up the new ones. Well, when I got there, she said she wanted the doctor to meet with me and discuss the job. I'm like, uh, crap, what? I've got my screaming toddler (I'll get into that in a minute), I'm wearing slacks, flip-flops, no make-up and a rather low-cut shirt, and my hair has not been flat-ironed, so it looks like a total nightmare. I won't even begin to describe the fail that is my manicure. Anyway, but they're all, oh don't worry about it, we know we just sprung this on you, and we knew you would have your child with you, we just figured while you're down here, we could talk about it. For nearly an hour. And Cora was a raging mess. She was (literally) throwing herself on the floor screaming, sobbing, snot running out of her nose, it was awful. She didn't have a nap, and the one day she probably would have taken one, we didn't have time. And of course, I had to sell myself for the job, while at the same time trying to calm down my screaming demon child, and keep my cool and, you know, not throttle her in front of potential employers, which is what I felt like doing. Sigh. It definitely tops the list of "worst job interview ever."

So, finally, we got out of there, and headed over to her pediatrician's office, where she calmed down when she got to play with some of their toys. She had another meltdown when we had to leave the play area and go up to the desk to give the new insurance card. One of the ladies asked if she could have chocolate, and gave me two Twix bars. This improved Cora's mood immensely. It was as though she became a different child. Suddenly she was smiling, and happy, and polite; back to her usual self. Then we went back to get the shot. She laid down on the table, and cried for only five seconds when she got the shot, and then she was fine. She was thrilled with the Elmo band-aid, and then thanked the nurse. The nurse gave her four Princess and the Frog stickers, which Cora was just over the moon about, and thanked her repeatedly. Then we marched off to the parking garage with our stickers, and Cora told me about the "bug bite" and how "it hurt the leg." She asked to hear "Poker Face" when we got in the car (she's a big Lady Gaga fan, which Husband thinks is parent fail, but whatever, he has no taste), but she fell asleep before the song even finished, and was snoring loudly in the back seat by the time we got home.

I had plans this evening and she was still napping when I left, but Daddy took her out for ice cream after dinner. When I got home at 10:30, I heard her in her room talking, I guess her sleep schedule was all messed up. So, I went in and snuggled for awhile and told her about how I'd talked to [my friend] tonight and we were going to go see the ponies the weekend after next. She asked if they would be jumping, before going back to sleep.


LL said...

I love Cora in her pretty dress - like you wrote, what a little lady!

And that job interview sounds horrific. How could they just spring that on you when you have a toddler with you? Poor Cora and POOR YOU! Did they say anything afterward? It sounds like a really neat opportunity and cheers to you for finding it.

Downsized Attorney said...

Congrats on the part-time offer. Though the interview was less than ideal it sounds like a good opportunity and I hope things work out for you.

CM said...

Wow, that interview sounds totally unfair -- not only did they give you no notice, but how could they think it's okay to keep a toddler waiting with nothing to do for nearly an hour? Didn't it give them a clue when she started throwing herself on the floor that maybe it wasn't the most appropriate time? Anyway, I hope there was some good reason for that and that the job works out.