Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

He's Just Not That Into You

I'll admit, my feelings are a little hurt that [it would appear] I did not get the job I interviewed for a couple weeks ago. The guy said they were going to hire someone "quickly." I would assume that someone isn't me since it's been two weeks and I've not heard anything. I even called to follow-up and emphasize my continued interest. Nada. I briefly considered continuing to call in desperation a la Swingers, but my desperation hasn't quite sunk to that level yet. Yet.

As for solo practicing, I finally ended up with a family law case. It's a mess, the client's a mess, and it's all going to give me an ulcer. I doubt my ability to practice family law long-term, because eventually I'm just going to stroke out. Too much stress. I just don't think it's worth it. But for right now I don't really have a choice, I need to take whatever comes along. For instance, I have an out-of-state client on a traffic court matter, and a warning order attorney appointment. Some quick easy money. I'd like a higher volume of quick easy money, and less volume of emotional turmoil. I still haven't brought in any actual money, since I had so much in expenses, so I still can't pay myself a salary from "the firm." Hopefully this month will change that. I've also got bar dues and insurance premiums to pay.

Sometimes I think back on my secretarial job when my only responsibilities were typing, printing, copying and filing, 40 hours a week. Making more money than I'm currently making, which is minimum wage (fuck you, unemployment). I wonder why the hell I was so stupid as to leave that and go to law school, thinking it would just be a simple promotion and a pay raise. I'm not sure it was either.

Solo practice is difficult, particularly without support staff, because it's having several jobs (and, I reiterate, not yet getting paid). Not only do I practice law, but I'm bogged down with administrative tasks, so that everything takes a really long time. Printing and copies and envelopes and filing and billing and going to the post office and the bank and answering the phone/making phone calls. Whew. Also, working on advertising and making contacts so I can get referrals. It's all very time-consuming. I really wanted a day off today, to have to myself, but it just didn't happen. I had work to do. I still have work to do. I need to get more efficient.

5 comments:

legally certifiable said...

That sucks about the job.

I totally get the drain of administrative work. When I took my pro bono case during my unemployed stint last summer I was appalled at how long it took to get a simple letter out the door. I definitely appreciate my support staff more.

And that was a family law case, too. Never again. I much prefer corporate litigation without all the touchy-feely emotions and where the only thing on the line is money.

I hope business starts rolling in for you soon!

Laurie said...

When you make lots of money you can hire me to do your administrative work :) On lunch we can go shopping for shoes or watch True Blood!

E.H. said...

Family law is exhausting. The fact that my sex abuse cases were less work (although also exhausting) should say something about it. I'd rather do sex abuse work/victim work than deal with family law.

lawmom said...

Working for yourself is hard, but if you pull it off you get to have the best boss ever.

And the other job, it's such a ridiculous employer's market right now, every job has hundreds of applicants. You can't take any of that personally.

J said...

That's a bummer about the job, but sometimes, places take longer and it's summer when people are out on vacation . . .

As far as the solo thing goes, good for you! I wish I could be my own boss. Are there any other solo attorneys that you could pair with and share an assistant to handle some of the admin tasks? Many solo atty's I'm friends with do a paralegal/legal assistant share plan.