Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hunting for Crumbs

My big plans for getting court appointments until I can get fully-paying clients is proving difficult. Not only is The City over-saturated with lawyers, but so are the surrounding counties, apparently. Depressing. So, tomorrow is Mass Phone Call Day, where I start cold-calling all the judges in this area of the state, begging for appointments. Sigh. At least I might have real office space. I got in touch with an attorney who was looking for a few hours of secretarial support a week, and asked if she might be willing to trade my services for use of her office space to meet with my clients. Foonberg cautions against it, but I know people who do it, and also have the advantage of having a mentor. So, we'll see. She might not want to fool with me and would rather pay some old lady minimum wage to answer her phones one day a week. Meh.

I'm still trying to get some contract work. I talked to someone in our neighboring state to the north, who was looking for an attorney licensed in my state to take over some crappy foreclosures he's trying to get rid of, from one of those shady companies that is going around paying off people's delinquent property taxes and then foreclosing on their houses, and completely milking them for fees and costs to get it out of foreclosure. Which is totally shady, but for the time being, completely legit. But, whatever. I'm no stranger to taking away people's houses to pay for mine. However, I'd need to spend two months or more working in his office. Three hours away from here. That would require a lot more money than he's willing to pay me. Especially considering I'd have to get lodging, and I couldn't do any other work because I'd be out of state and out of my office. We discussed me working from home but he didn't want to deal with phone calls/inquiries on the files (although his receptionist can just direct those calls to me). He's considering going with a paralegal from a temp agency instead, although I suspect he knows that I'm a much better deal (I have experience in foreclosure, and I'm a real lawyer). I also pointed out that I can make appearances in those files, rather than paying local attorneys to make court appearances/auction appearances, which is what the foreclosure lawyers do -- outsource. So, we'll see. The money's decent if I don't have to work out of state. In his city, attorneys make a lot more money, so what he's willing to pay is pretty low. Also, I don't want to spend two months or more away from my family, unless the money is going to be too good to pass up.

Speaking of time away from the family, there's always the possibility of training for a kick-ass job investigating stuff. I took the exam, we'll see what happens. I did not pass the fitness self-assessment. And apparently they're all hardcore about the proper positions of pushups, and if your back isn't at the proper angle, they don't count your pushup. Which means I can probably do, um, zero pushups. Ugh. So, if I passed the exam, from now until October I will be spending a lot more time at the gym pumping iron. Blah.

In other news, I'm about to go all lawyer on my car insurance company, since it's been over a week, and they can't even for sure tell me my car's totaled. The car's still parked in my driveway, and it still has deer bits on it. To quote my kid: "Ewwwww, YUCKY!" I would have hosed it down, but seeing as how June sucked so damn bad with the entire universe out to get me, I was afraid if I cleaned up the car, it would turn out that a strangely tall and oddly-proportioned pedestrian was killed in a hit and run accident the same night and I would have destroyed the forensic evidence that would have exonerated me. Seriously, I'm not kidding. Falsely accused of killing someone with my car/destruction of the evidence was a definite likelihood until I thwarted the evil plan by leaving the deer bits on my crushed car. Screw you, Universe! (Okay, so maybe I've watched too much General Hospital and maybe they've used the same crappy who-perpetrated-the-hit-and-run storyline too many times. Gawd, I need a job!)

7 comments:

ARISTIONO NUGROHO said...

Hi friend, peace...
How are you?
If you willing visit my blog, and read my article at http://sosiologidakwah.blogspot.com
I have new post
And... if you love books, don’t forget to read The Holy Qur'an please...
The Holy Qur’an (112:1-4) had stated, that God is Allah, the One and Only. Allah is God, on whom all depend. Allah begets not, and nor begotten; and none is like Allah.

Cristy said...

Hi there, I just wanted to introduce myself. My husband recently told butterflyfish about my blog...I had no idea there were so many law blogs out there! I just graduated about 2 months ago, am studying for my bar, and have a 7 week old little girl. oy is right.

Good luck with trying to get the contract work. I think I'll be doing that same search the day after I'm finished with the bar. Ugh.

E.H. said...

Virtual hugs your way. You're such a go-getter that either you'll find something new or you'll kick ass on your own. I'm impressed you negotiated/approached the attorney about the receptionist trade. I would be totally too chicken shit to try that.

But deer bits? EW!!!!

JasonBirk佳琪 said...

不錯喔~你的部落格很優~..................................................................

宥妃宥妃 said...

大師手筆﹐果然不凡............................................................

于倫 said...

困難的不在於新概念,而在於逃避舊有的概念。............................................................

潘凱花潘凱花 said...

來替你打氣,加油A_A.................................[/url]...............