Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Unemployment Post

I think I mentioned before how, whenever the Boss calls me into his office, it freaks me out just a little. It's like getting called to the principal's office. There's that little bit of panic you have to swallow down and reassure yourself, it's just an assignment. The guy just had knee replacement surgery, and his office is upstairs. He doesn't want to come downstairs to explain some fact pattern and give you a research assignment.

Yeah, not today. Today was the "you're laid off" conversation. Sucks.

He assured me it had nothing to do with my job performance, and he said he'll give me a glowing recommendation to anyone who asks. It's just about money, as in, there isn't any.

I've had my suspicions about this for awhile though, and just ignored that nagging feeling that the axe was coming. There've been some "payroll issues," and there was a rather serious closed-door-don't-interrupt meeting a few weeks ago with the boss's financial adviser. Yeah, should've known.

So, my last day is Friday. Fortunately, the timing is excellent because my lease is up the end of next month, meaning I'm only out one rent payment on the apartment and I fortunately had not sent them notice of my intent to renew yet (I would have on July 1). I'm shutting off all the utilities and moving out on Friday. I gave notice to the landlords I'm leaving so they can rent the apartment early (apartments are hard to come by around here).

I'll be drawing unemployment, which I think is around $400 a week. That's less than half of what I bring in, but without the rent and expense of living in two places, I think I can swing it with tightening down my belt. I got a 3-month forbearance from Direct Loans, and the Sallie Mae douchebags would only give me a 3-month forbearance if I gave them $100. WTF? No thank you, I'll just pay that one. I'll just make minimum payments on my two credit cards, and Husband will probably have to start paying the cable and phone bills once he starts his new job the first week of July. Cora will stay in daycare part time in The City, and stay home with me two days a week (the two days a week she was normally in daycare in Small Town). Which will be fun being a part-time stay at home mom again. At least it's summer and we can go to the pool!

So, yeah, I've been crying off and on all day, because DAMMIT, I really fucking loved my job. Sure, I had a love-hate relationship with the child custody clients, because I think people who put their kids through hell to punish their ex-spouse are the worst excuses for human beings possible. BUT, I had plenty of really awesome family law clients, who are good parents, doing what's best for their kids and that was really great work to be doing. Also, doing Plaintiffs' work was really great. In some ways, I like the insurance defense better because there's less pressure (other than the evil billable hour), but I felt like I was doing good. Winning that employment case was AWESOME.

But I'm sad too because I really like the area. I didn't think I would, honestly. But it's beautiful, and the people are great, and while it's full of problems (i.e. mass obesity, prescription drug abuse, pollution, etc.), it really is lovely. Not much to do, but with summer just starting and with the possibility of being here on the weekends, that would have changed. Anyway, I'm sad to leave the area, and will miss things like strolling through the awesome city park right across the street from my apartment, miss hanging out with my upstairs neighbor, and definitely miss my colleagues in the legal community who are not douchebaggy like the folks back in The City. Dammit, I don't want to practice law there. Ugh.

I'll also miss my office, and the staff. Boss Dude was a great mentor, and I wish I could have had more of an opportunity to learn from him. But I'm grateful for the opportunity for the past 11 months, and at least my Bar/Bri fees, bar association fees, and CLE's were paid, and I'm re-entering the job market with good references and some pretty great experience. Second-chairing four trials, conducting hearings, managing cases. I haven't just been someone's document review bitch, so surely someone will like me! Someone? Anyone?

Resume and references available upon request!

19 comments:

divine angst said...

Oh gosh! So sorry -- it totally sucks to get laid off. But your attitude is totally spot on -- you are leaving with great experience and good references, and that stuff makes a HUGE difference in the job search.

Sending waves of good thoughts your way!

LEO said...

So sorry! Like you said, at least you have the benefit of decent timing and a great resume boost for the search. Hopefully things are picking up enough that you can find something else promising quickly. Hang in there, you'll be gainfully employed in no time!

LL said...

I'm so sorry Proto. That really sucks. I hope you find something amazing that makes this all seem like it was meant to be, but in the mean time, it definitely sucks.

Shantelle said...

Wow, that is rough, but your attitude about it is really great. And the timing seems to have worked our pretty well. I got laid off when I was six months pregnant. I kept trying to find a job until my unemployment ran out, which had given me enough time to have the baby and breastfeed for 6 months. It turned out to be good, but it's all about looking at the positive, which you are definitely doing!

Butterflyfish said...

I am so sorry!!! Fingers toes and everything else crossed for you that your unemployment time is rewarding and very very very brief.

Flaim said...

I'm really sorry! If you need anything just let me know.

New Kid on the Hallway said...

What sucky news! I'm so sorry. But I'm glad you're leaving on such good terms and I'm sure that will translate into another, better job soon!

legally certifiable said...

I'm so sorry. That totally sucks! Hopefully you'll have just enough downtime to enjoy it, and then bounce back quickly.

BTW, you can get that Sallie Mae fee waived if you go high enough up the chain. I went through that with my unemployment fiasco last summer, and I did not pay their damn fee.

Shelley said...

I'm so sorry - that bites, and there's just nothing to say to make it better. :( I was in exactly the same place (although admittedly, I was praying to be laid off before I just up and quit) a few months ago, wondering when the axe was going to fall.

You rock, though, and you'll find something.

Tree Hugging 2L said...

Yuck.
That totally blows.
BUT maybe something 100x better is just around the corner. Enjoy the vacation. :)

Googie Baba said...

I'm really sorry. That definitely sucks. But I am glad you had a good experience at your first job.

Cecilia said...

Oh, that sucks, I'm sorry. Maybe it'll be a blessing in disguise to be able to be in the same town as the hubs and kiddo. Good luck with the job search.

雅雯雅雯 said...

哇~酷哦~推你一把~正文(・(ェ)・)........................................

Izzie said...

This totally blows, but it's great that there is at least a glimmer of a silver lining. You'll land on your feet because you're AWESOME!

Mama said...

Blarg. Double blarg.

Mama said...

"Blarg" was from the Reluctant Grownup, by the by.

Downsized Attorney said...

I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. I certainly know what it feels like to get laid off. You seem to be taking the news much better than I did, which is much healthier. At least your getting this news when the economy is picking up rather than at the start of the recession. Hang in there, something good will come of this. I know I hated when people said that to me when I was first laid off, but it really is true.

ffa0327 said...

Proto, so sorry! I'm a long time lurker, and I just sent you a PM. Take care!

ccc said...

OMG. I have been out of touch and I missed this. I'm so sorry. Good luck!

- ccc (www.nowwyl.blogspot.com)