Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Suck Week

1. Weight. I lost 1.6 pounds last week, no clue how that happened. However, I've likely gained that back sometime during the week and then lost some more this weekend. Ugh. I think I'm attached to a yo-yo. I had epic diet fail during the week, where I had a slice of cheesecake one evening, and scarfed down three buttery bread rolls during dinner out with my neighbor, but then I had such a horrible day Friday, I never even had a chance to eat or drink anything until 4:30, I was that effin' busy with just crazy stuff. I grabbed a fish sandwich on my way out of town, and a large drink, and then came home and went to bed, where I slept for 24 hours off and on. (I have sinus funk.) So, we'll see what the scale says tomorrow. Who knows.

2. Trial fail. We had a trial last week. We lost. We have a trial tomorrow, and it's a doozy. It's already been full of fail, particularly that our expert witness is MIA. (Seriously, he might be dead in a gutter somewhere for all we know, we haven't been able to find him in the past six months.) So, this oughta be fun.

3. Tourney fail. My bracket is officially dead, since I correctly chose 0/4 final four teams. We lost last night, knocked out in the elite eight. I was really looking forward to painting myself blue and tipping over cars next week. Sigh. But the game just sucked. It's like they just got tired or something. Oh well. Those teenage boys will still go on to make crazy money in the NBA, so good for them. There's been a lot of criticism lately about our graduation percentage for our athletes. I figure, if you can leave college without graduating and make millions of dollars, whether it's playing sports, starting your own business or something else, go for it. That piece of paper is only worth as much as you put into it, and let's be honest, a degree from mediocre university ain't worth all that much anyway. But we've recently had a few retired athletes come back to the university to finish their degrees, which I think is admirable. A few years ago, I felt differently about people not going to college or finishing college, but considering the loss of value of the bachelor's degree, but the insane cost of it, if you can have a lucrative career without a bachelor's, why not? The rest of us suckers have to drown in student loans to complete degrees for not-so-lucrative careers.

4. Crap money. Apparently, even though our state allows up to $500 an appointment for GAL's, the county I work in pays a flat fee of $60. I am spending my evenings doing home visits, conducting interviews and doing research, plus attending hearings, for $60. (Not that I get it, it goes to the firm, but still. So much for earning my keep.) Like, why even bother paying at all? Just call it what it is: pro bono. Foster Board review folks are volunteers, so are Court Appointed Special Advocates. The $60 is almost insulting for the amount of work required. It's like instead of stiffing a waiter, you leave a penny on the table. Oh well. Another frustration with family law, no uniformity across the state. Even so, I don't mind the appointments, of course, so far I've only done adoption cases, not any "DNA" cases (Dependency/Neglect/Abuse). I probably won't like those.

5. Continued love/hate with family law. I have a jurisdiction issue that's giving me a headache, but it's a good learning experience for me, and I got a few very interesting new cases this week. I also got new problem clients that are going to annoy me, and I will have to keep my opinions to myself. That's another issue I have with family law, is that a lot of the problems with divorced parents come from differing opinions on parenting styles. Now, there's a problem when it's neglectful or abusive, but when it's not, when it's "well, she's just mean to the kid," or "he isn't strict enough with them," it's like, okay, what do you want me to do about it? The judge isn't going to issue an order saying that Jimmy has to brush his teeth at 7:45 and be in bed at 8:00, and eat all of his vegetables, and that Mom is never allowed to raise her voice when Jimmy tries to microwave the hamster, and Dad has to make sure that Jimmy goes to creative movement class every Wednesday afternoon, because otherwise it will stifle his artistic abilities. I mean, seriously, people. I'm sure raising your kids as co-parents with a divorced spouse is difficult and frustrating. I'm sure in most of those situations, you've got the parent that does everything and the parent that does the absolute bare minimum and dumps the burden on the other parent (which is probably how it was during the marriage too). But when it comes to court, pick your battles. The judge doesn't give a crap that he forgets to pack leg warmers for ballet class every Thursday, or she babies the kids too much and it's making them soft. And frankly, neither do I. But I do care when I have clients that come in who really need relief from a bad situation, and that's when I like family law, and feel satisfied in what I'm doing. I also like finding creative solutions for my clients, particularly when the parties are willing to come to an agreement instead of just being pissed at one another. But the rest of you idiots need to work out your own petty grievances, otherwise, I'm going to triple my retainer fee.

6. Sinus fail. Either I have the world's longest cold, or I need to re-evaluate my choice to live outside of a bubble. I had to skip pilates last week because my head was so full of fluid that I got dizzy if I leaned over, and this week it's so bad my head feels like it will explode. I've tried everything, I'm on tons of allergy/sinus/etc. medicine, nasal sprays, nasal irrigation, and nothing works. I'm about to find out if cutting off my nose will help. It is also possible that Small Town is one big allergen. If I can't kick this crap soon, it might be a deal breaker for continuing to practice law here.

7. Dictation fail. Our office dictaphones have finally died of old age (the units are seriously from the stone age), so we're about to upgrade. Does anyone out there use digital transcription machines? We are trying to decide between going with Dictaphone brand or with another brand, like Olympus or Sony. If your office uses the digital ones, can you drop me a line? I'd like to ask you a few questions about how you like them/like the software. We want the digital kind, rather than the cassette tapes, because the boss is upstairs, and he doesn't want to run up and down the stairs every time he needs something transcribed (he's having another knee surgery soon), and when we're out of the office, we want to be able to email dictation to the office to be transcribed. So, if you're using these, feedback would be very much appreciated!

Not sucky stuff:

Egg hunting today with Cora's friend L. Our friends had us and some others over for brunch and the girls got to hunt eggs. Cora really likes eggs. She's been in her room playing with them and eating the candy out of them instead of napping, I'm certain.

This past week I heard one of our state supreme court justices speak at the women's law caucus luncheon. I really liked hearing her speak, because I can relate to her. She was a little bit older than her classmates when she went to law school, married, and already had a master's degree. She talked about how she absolutely hated law school and therefore her grades reflected it. But she loved the practice of law, and had a great career that eventually led her to the bench. (She said it might have led her to teaching law but her grades weren't good enough... and she hated law school anyway.) I definitely relate to that! I dunno if I'd want to be a judge though, I think I'd much rather be a mediator when I grow up. But I like hearing stories from women who go on to do great things who took a similar path. It makes me think maybe I can do great things too, and I'm not held back by my choice of schools or my lack of stellar grades. So, that's pretty cool. It got me excited again about my career choice, since some days I still feel like I'm not even qualified to flip burgers. At the luncheon, I also got to talk to one of the district court judges from The City, and discussing the importance of GAL's to the judges. It was nice to know that even though the appointment earns pretty much no money for the firm, the judges really appreciate the work being done, and rely upon it so much.

So, that's it for my week. Hopefully the upcoming week, with Easter to look forward to, will be good times.

No comments: