Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Comment Box

If you're a new reader, you probably arrived here either from googling "pregnant in law school" or from another "blawg." When I first found out I was pregnant, I too made the same internet search. (LagLiv's blog was the first I found.) Since then, I've discovered a whole network of Moms in Law School/Legal Profession (check out the sidebar for a few). I get questions from time to time from law students out there who are considering motherhood during law school (or other advanced degree programs). So, I thought I would link to my previous post on the topic (which was also cross-posted at Ms. JD). Please feel free to email me (just leave a comment and let me know I have mail... otherwise, I rarely check it). I'm always happy to answer questions and give advice, for whatever it's worth. Plus it's always nice to make contacts with colleagues from other schools in other states and broaden our respective networks!

Additionally, I will keep your correspondence private (other than to reprint general questions to answer here), and I will not reveal your identity, unless of course it's hate mail. In which case, I'm going to publish it, along with your name and email address, on this blog. And, no, "Jonathan E. Rubin," I will not remove your name and email address from my blog "out of respect for [your] privacy." I could give a long diatribe about all the reasons I have neither a legal nor ethical duty to do so, but we'll just leave it at, "Uh, no." Also, I should point out that once the page has been published, it's pretty much out in cyberspace forever anyway. Blogger's owned by Google now, after all. It's definitely out there forever now, since it's been over a year. Moral of the story: I would recommend thinking twice before sending any written or electronic communications, because there's rarely any sort of guarantee that said communication will remain private. Particularly if it's hate mail. I mean, duh.

Anyway, as for having a child while in law school, I can say, personally, it was the best choice for my family. I have gotten to spend a lot more time with my daughter as an infant and toddler than if I'd waited until I started my career. Of course, that's not time Cora will even remember. She won't know that we snuggled at 4am while she ate and I read cases from my International Environmental Law text by booklight. She won't know that we spent every weekend this summer going to the park and swimming and reading books all day, then after tucking her into bed, I was up half the night studying for the bar. But I know. I'll remember. And what was undoubtedly the suckiest three years of my academic career, has been overshadowed by 18 months of the best time of my life, particularly this summer. My kid is so much fun, she makes bar review almost tolerable.


Water Bunny

Now in the final stretch of being a "student" (even if it's just a student of Bar/Bri), preparing to take the bar in July, I can honestly say it was worth it. Law school sucked. But I'm glad I did it, and I'm very excited about my new job and my career, and finally finally finally being a licensed attorney. My life totally rocks.

8 comments:

LL said...

I've gotten email from Mr. Rubin as well! Weird, sexual harassment-light kind of emails- he's now on my spam list so I have no idea if I've received more, but how bizarre that he apparently has a thing for contacting married mothers in law school.

LL said...

Also, more to the point of your post, I agree that law school was a fantastic time to have a baby. For as stressful as my 3L year was, it would have been much more so as a 1st or 2nd year associate. Last summer was also one of my happiest- sure I had the Bar but I got to play with Landon almost every minute he was awake and I wouldn't change a minute of it.

Sarena, Esq. said...

Thanks for this post, and for your blog. I started mine last month (I have an 8-month-old and started law school last month as well), and when searching for blogs related to being a law school mommy yours was one of the first I found. I think its important to let others know that it is all possible, even if it sometimes sucks bigtime.

G Love said...

I'm trolling around all of your blogs right now, from the MILP roundup. I'm 30, have a small boy who I never never never get to see because of my stupid HR career and stupid hour-long commute, and excited about how much more time we'll get to spend together once I am in school again. I'll be trying for beab #2 after my first year. Now I'm off to read the post you linked to . . .

All of these posts are making me feel so much more confident about my decision.

G Love said...

Also, I wrote more in an email. Could you check it, please? If you are so inclined to coach a stranger . . .

The Gori Wife said...

Man, 3 years ago when I was pregnant and in my 1L year, all I could find was blogs of FATHERS in law school. Now, when I've graduated and all that stand between me and my ", Esq." is BarBri suckage - now I find the party???

The Gori Wife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
That Girl Allison said...

This is off-topic a bit, but LL, I've also received sexual harassment-light emails from Jonathan E. Rubin! Except I'm not a mother in lawyer school. He just flipped out on me after a while of correspondence where he was seemingly-normal. Oh sigh. HE has a fiancee named Alyssa - hopefully she'll find out about all of this before their wedding in November.

Oops, too much information out there about you now, Mr. Rubin? Suck it.