Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Life after law school

1. Graduation weekend and partying like a rock star. Friday after graduation, I had a party at my house where we killed two fifths of bourbon, then off to the "homo bar" after everyone left to continue knocking back drinks, including several rounds of shots, and dancing the night away. One friend was so drunk, we were actually asked to leave after he crashed to the floor along with his bar stool. Win. However, I realized I'm too old for all that partying and paid for it by spending the next afternoon praying to the porcelain goddess and sleeping several hours on the bathroom floor. I finally regained consciousness about 8pm. I felt really bad because I had to "call in sick" to my volunteer engagement with the local ballet. They didn't *really* need me, but I still felt guilty.

Anyway, I still had another party to attend Saturday evening, although I didn't go crazy and made it home before 2am. The only alcohol I drank was some champagne from a can through a bendy straw, and the obligatory glass of Mad Housewife Chardonnay. The Mad Housewife Chardonnay was the Bottle of Shame from a wine tasting party/fundraiser we attended 1L year where you bring four bottles of the same wine. Three bottles are assigned a number, wrapped up, and put out for tasting. The group that brings the best wine, takes home the fourth bottle of all the other groups, except for the group that brings the worst bottle, they have to take home their Bottle of Shame. It was a very large fundraiser, with about 80 groups. During the blind taste-test, we rated the wine "smells like pee" and "tastes like feet." Apparently, the other attendees agreed, and that bottle of Mad Housewife Chardonnay went home with my friends. We agreed it was to be saved for graduation. More than two years later, the Bottle of Shame tasted even worse. It actually had gotten even more yellow with age, and was slightly more rancid in taste. It was a fitting way to toast the end of law school, which also gets more rancid over time.

2. Mother's Day. Husband worked the night before, so he slept most of the day. Cora's godfather was in town for my graduation, and he watched her for a couple hours while I hit the mall with a girlfriend and got lunch. Then my mom came over and we took Cora to the park. Afterward, he had to leave to drive the few hours out to see his mom, and Cora was just not having it. She was convinced she was going with him. She kept waving to me and saying "BYE!" when he'd get close to the door. We walked him out to the car, and he had her in his lap in the driver's seat, and again, she kept waving to me and saying, "BYE!" We finally distracted her with playing in the yard long enough that he could leave without her melting down. When she realized he'd left, she waved where his car was and, frowning, she said in this pitiful little voice, "Bye." She cheered up as we ate dinner, take-out from our favorite Italian restaurant.

Oh, and kudos to SNL/The Lonely Island for this Mother's Day goody. If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right...

3. Vacations. We had to reschedule the trip we were going to take up to Niagara Falls this week to visit family, because of that family's medical issues. Hopefully we'll be able to try again in June. We are going to Mexico on Sunday, since things seem to have calmed down, attractions have reopened and the flights *should* go smoothly. And since everyone's scared of swine flu and canceled their trips, we should get really good service since the locals will just be glad someone, anyone, is there spending money. The area is really hurting right now, since tourism is its bread and butter.

4. Bar/Bri. Better be sending my ridiculously overpriced bar review materials soon. I wanted to get some studying done this week since I'll be vacationing so much this summer, I need to get started. Everyone else has already gotten their stuff. Mine is MIA. Fail. On the bright side, my future boss sent me a big fat check as reimbursement for the course. If only he had offered me a shoe stipend, oh well.

5. Extra cash for shoes. I'm having a chat with a recruiter tomorrow about doing some temp work over the summer as a legal secretary. I didn't want to work as a clerk because it would be too exhausting doing research/document review and then coming home and doing bar review, so I quit my clerk job instead of working over the summer. But I figure typing off a tape and making some phone calls won't be too bad. I don't need the money that badly, but I don't want to rack up too much credit card debt over the summer, and then spend the first year of my new job paying off my credit cards. So, some extra cash would be nice. It'll help to make some quick contacts too at firms I'm not familiar with.

So, that's that. I need to clean the house, go to the gym, and pack for Mexico. Oh, and hit the salon! Yay, summer!

2 comments:

newduck said...

It sounds like mad housewife chardonnay is appropriately named. Remind me to stay far, far away from that brew.

Dakota said...

Congrats! Feels great to be done, doesn't it? Best of luck to you!