Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Happenings

Thought I'd take a break from the lameness that is spending my Saturday night outlining. Even worse, it's re-outlining. My friend and I split the readings for nonprofit orgs to outline and I outlined my portion on Thursday night only for it to disappear into oblivion, now I get to re-do it. Like it wasn't bad enough the first time. Lame.

So, happenings... I'm going through the grueling process of interviews right now. I need to mass mail my resume out as well, but I'm so swamped, the idea of spending an entire afternoon writing/printing cover letters, printing envelopes and stuffing/stamping them, ugh. Needs to be done though, I know.

I had an interview on Friday with a federal magistrate judge. Honestly I was surprised I even got the interview, considering I'm not on journal nor the top of my class. Which probably means I was OCI time-slot filler. I have a rather interesting resume and I get that a lot with OCI, because if they have to sit there and interview a bunch of people they would never hire, they'd rather interview someone interesting. That's me: interesting but not hireable, apparently! Oh well. If nothing else, it's good interview practice. I have another OCI interview with the public defender's office this week. (Although after seeing their new director make one of their veteran public defenders cry in court yesterday for something that was actually our screwup, not sure I particularly want to deal with all that. Yikes.)

The most promising interview I have is a lunch interview with a successful personal injury attorney. I figure if the guy's willing to buy me lunch, and not crappy lunch, but lunch at one of the nicest restaurants in town, he's at least serious about hiring me, not just filling an OCI time-slot. A friend of mine worked for him right out of law school too, and she said he's a great guy. So, that makes me really excited about the job. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for working for assholes. Working for someone who respects and values me is more important than the amount of pay. The only catch is his offices are 1 hour and 2 hours away, respectively. The commute will be a bitch, but it's highway driving and I really like to drive, so I won't mind it. I guess I'll have to learn the art of highway dictation. My secretary will hate me. I'll have the decency to keep the music off and the windows rolled up though.

Other stuff: No word yet from PMF, I dunno when those results will be in. I did, however, apply to the FBI, which terrifies me. It's one of those life-long dream things that I've always wanted to do, and I keep trying to remind myself that there are a lot of applicants, and I probably won't get selected, but I will still probably be totally crushed if I don't at least make it past the preliminary stages of the application process. I avoided experimenting with a variety of illegal substances in college so that I wouldn't be disqualified. And I've been going to the gym regularly to work on the fitness requirements. If that's not dedication to a dream, I don't know what is!

Anyway, still trudging along through the semester. I love love love my internship with the prosecutor's office. If something came open, I would much rather work there than for the public defender's office. So, lots going on, and major life choices ahead. I'll be most fortunate if I get to actually choose, rather than take the only thing offered. Even though my reluctance to make major life decisions dictates I'd rather there only be one choice, but that's another discussion entirely. But I do want some adventure in my work life. I want a job where the work is challenging and pushes my limits and forces me to leave my comfort zone. I don't want to sit at a desk all day. I don't want to do the same stuff every day and get into a rut. I'd like for my work to mean something. Money isn't terribly important, I just want to make enough to pay my loans and buy the occasional pair of fabulous shoes. I'm a simple girl, with simple needs.

Still can't believe this is the last semester. I just had my portrait made for our class compilation, which will hang on the wall in the law school for all time, and turned in my card and money for my diploma (yeah, they haven't gotten us for enough money, we have to give them extra to give us a stinking diploma). Barrister's Ball is in two weeks, and I just bought my dress. It is most scandalous and shows off a whole lot of bewb. Husband, however, will not be able to attend. He has to work, since his weekend shift is starting. I'm taking a hot gay man instead. It's going to be a great time. Although the venue we use sent our SBA president a nasty letter, and they're not serving us anything but beer and wine and we had to hire security. Apparently they didn't find some 1L's date getting alcohol poisoning, puking all over herself and the hallway carpet and getting wheeled out by paramedics, particularly amusing last year. Nor someone from our class puking all over herself and the bathroom, and someone's date puking in a potted plant, the year before. I guess some people failed to learn to hold their liquor in undergrad and, I dunno, actually studied or something. Lame.

In family-related news, Cora is 14 months old today. Thought I'd post some of her 1-year pics. My friend Laurie is a photography student and has just launched her photography business, although she's been doing weddings and portraits for awhile now. She took Cora's photos at six months as well. Some of these are on her site because, after all, my kid is damn cute!

















4 comments:

Cee said...

oh my gosh! Cora is adorable! I love the one with her daddy holding her! Good luck with the FBI job- I really hope you get the opportunity to show them how great you are! There is nothing worse thanhaving to send out cover letters and resumes tailored to jobs you are applying for- I hope it all goes well!

gudnuff said...

Interviews! Scary, exciting, possibly very filling (that restaurant sounds nice). We're all pulling for you, with fingers crossed.

Your daughter is beautiful. That first picture would make even the worst day at the office seem much more bearable, no matter where you land.

Andrea said...

Gorgeous. I will reiterate that I love that Cora has baby-fro - it makes me feel better about Becca's, which resists my lame efforts to keep it down.

PT-LawMom said...

Congrats on the interviews. The one with the judge is pretty cool! Cora is totally gorgeous. I can't believe she is so grown up!! Wow, time flies. :)