Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fighting crime

I figure I might as well blog about my suppression hearing experience since I have to write a paper at the end of the semester about all this jazz anyway. In short, we won. Not thanks to any great lawyering by me. When the response to defendant's argument comes down to, uh, no, dude, that's not how criminal procedure works (here's my crim pro outline if you'd like the black-letter law), well, it's not really a big deal. I think if I'd stood up there and gave a soliloquy about my love of cheese, the judge would still have ruled in our favor. Which is probably why they let the 3L with partial license to (mal)practice run the show. But it was wicked fun. I got to direct real testimony! In a real court! I've done all those mock trial things, and lit skills and such, but this was much more cool. I was nervous, but it was good. I even got to object during cross (it was overruled). I love it. And I'll get to try the case in two weeks. Super cool!

3 comments:

Cee said...

wow- I bet that was as rush! congrats- I'm sure you did an awesome job!

gudnuff said...

Oh yes indeed, super cool! Wow. Really good that you wrote about it. You can look back and say, that was the moment. You're like all grown-up and everything now. Serious Big Kid stuff. Congratulations!!!

Dee said...

Years from now you'll look backsmile and wonder what all the fuss was about. Good job.