Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Politicking -- health care

I don't have the energy or the coherency at this point in the evening (or morning, I suppose) to actually do much extensive political analysis, so I'm just going to link to this NYT op-ed, as well as commentary on the topic from Dave, cancer survivor and musician.

I'm actually not a big fan of Obama's health care proposals, it just isn't liberal enough. I think we need a radical overhaul of the system and implementation of universal coverage. But it's certainly more thought-out than McCain's proposals, and aimed at helping the American people, not padding the pockets of the insurance companies even more. (Let's deregulate them even more and wait until they implode so we can issue a massive bailout for them too! Hurray for free markets that get safety nets while the American people don't!)

Right now we have a health care system in place that only protects the rich who can afford health care (as well as full health insurance coverage) and the poorest of the poor who get free government coverage. It's a system that encourages people to quit their jobs, lose everything they worked for, and go on government assistance if they contract a serious, persistent illness, because they have no other way of paying the medical bills. It's a system that breeds despair, poverty, and not to mention fraud (and our state is riddled with Medicaid/government assistance fraud... I have endless amounts of horror stories I unfortunately can't share because of confidentiality issues. But it's all very maddening.)

I just can't even imagine voting for John McCain. At a time when Bush's approval rating is lower than Nixon's at the time of his resignation, it's time to give the GOP a big kick in the ass. And maybe the Democrats won't do any better, but it's certainly worth a try. Eight years of failure, we need something better. John McCain sure as hell isn't it.

3 comments:

PT-LawMom said...

I agree - Obama really wimped out on the healthcare front and I don't think he's going to have the mandate he needs to get serious legislation passed. That's disappointing. :(

PT-LawMom said...

I agree - Obama really wimped out on the healthcare front and I don't think he's going to have the mandate he needs to get serious legislation passed. That's disappointing. :(

Cee said...

Sometimes I think Obama wants to be more liberal on some of these issues but he doesn't want to be seen as too radical and alienate certain voters...health care seems to be a touchy issue. maybe once he gets elected he will try to implement greater changes in health care.