Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Irritation

Quote from Palin's interview that aired this evening, which completely pissed me off:

[Explaining why she just recently obtained a passport:] "I'm not one of those who came from a background of, you know, kids who perhaps graduate college and their parents give them a passport and give them a backpack and say go off and travel the world. No, I've worked all my life. In fact, I usually had two jobs all my life until I had kids. I was not a part of, I guess, that culture."

Yeah... so? I've worked full time since I was 17. I worked my way through college, through grad school, through law school. And I've managed multiple trips out of the country. If it was something she'd wanted to do, she could have done it. Don't blame your lack of international travel on the fact that your parents didn't pay for it. It's that same sort of back-handed comment that comes from people who use the "well, my parents couldn't pay for college" excuse why they never got an education. As though no one else had to put themselves through college.

If you never had enough interest in doing something, that you weren't willing to scrimp and save and find a way to do it, then just admit that it wasn't a priority. If she'd answered, "Gosh, I just never had a real desire to go to another country, there were other things I wanted to do instead," then that would be a good, honest answer. Blaming the fact that you weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth and had to pay for shit yourself like the majority of Americans, plenty of whom travel abroad, well, that's just ridiculous.

4 comments:

five tomatoes said...

My mom had traveled all of Europe by age 27 because she was married to someone in the military. Working-class people can travel too. Stupid Sarah.

Timah said...

She's ridiculous! I first went abroad when I was 11 on a (public) school trip. I, and the other 20 middle-schoolers, whose parents were ALL struggling, sold boxes of candy to pay for my trip. Now, as a 24-year-old broke grad student, I make it my business to get out of the country to visit new places and learn things about different cultures at least once a year. Mum and Dad are not footing the bill for anything in my life.

If she truly wanted to travel abroad, she would have found a way. I wish she would stop using her family's working-class status as a crutch for what is obviously her desire to remain complacent. What kind of message is she sending to the youth of America? I'm worried.

Allison said...

That comment annoyed the hell out of me too. She thinks she can get out of these obvious questions just by being snide.

PT-LawMom said...

That is such bullshit. I have a great friend who busted her ass working two waitressing jobs, sold her car and possessions and then traveled the entire world and e-mailing all of us about her adventures. She was raised by a single mom and they barely had two cents to rub together. Lots of people travel.