Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Eggs

I decided not to try out for our school's trial team. The deadline was Friday, and I let it pass. I ultimately decided this for a few reasons. First, I'm doing way too much already, and I'm already getting my ass kicked in BA. I might only have two finals this semester, but I may fail one of them, ugh. Second, I'm working with two of my classmates and a professor to create an International Moot Court team. I'd much rather put my eggs into that basket. While I actually prefer the trial work to appellate work, I think the moot court team will be better experience, and will be a much-needed "I actually do stuff with International Law!" blip on my resume to go with all that insurance defense/whiplash law. (Is there international whiplash law? Yeah, didn't think so.)

Third, I don't think I'd even make the team. Not because I don't believe in my abilities, I think I could be a real competitor. But there are people who have already taken lit skills with the professor who leads the team, knows what she likes, knows what she doesn't, and so it just seems rather pointless. Perhaps I'm selling myself short, or expressing too much faith in my classmates, but I realize I'm also avoiding further disappointment at this stage. I'm getting enough blows to my ego in my futile efforts to find future employment.

Anyway, so my eggs are going in the moot court basket. I still don't feel any regret not actually trying to be on the moot court board, but I'm glad I'll get to actually be on a team. The two guys I'm working with should be good. One is at the top of our class, the other is a moot court guy whose strength is oral argument. My strengths are in international law and research, so we should make a good team. I think it will be a lot of fun.

Speaking of international law, I ended up president of ILS again, because no one else wanted the job. Sigh. So I'm trying to do my best to energize the other members. Two of the new officers are also joint degree students from the IR grad program, and also very passionate about getting the organization up and going. I think it will be a good year. I'd like to go out with a bang (and with the bank account in the black). I am a fiscally conservative president, afterall.

1 comment:

thelongroad said...

Which International Moot Court are you going to do? I did the Willem C. Vis last year and organized it for my school for the first time. I learned so much - if you need any tips or help let me know!