Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Stuck

Sometimes I feel stuck. Not in life per se, but more geographically stuck.


My husband has always been willing to move somewhere else for my career. He was an Army brat; it's not a big deal to him. Also, he can get work anywhere. But I often feel like I've missed out by not leaving "home" and going somewhere else.


Maybe everyone feels like that, but I also hate the lack of opportunities here. I still feel myself pulled towards working for the federal government, even though I "officially" gave up that dream years ago. I've often thought Commerce or State would be a really good fit, even though I've always been more attracted to the "sexier" jobs of CIA and the Bureau. I've always had an interest in security, and my current qualifications could potentially get me there. But is it what I want?


I think my continued interest in the federal government is in part because of disatisfaction with my usual line of work. I want to feel like my work makes a difference, not just gets me a paycheck. That's often tough to do in litigation, when people are just squabbling over money. Sometimes in Plaintiff's work you get cases where people really need the money for medical treatment, etc., and it isn't just about greed, but I've seen that very rarely.


I guess I'm just feeling heightened disatisfaction with my work prospects. Even if I manage to get a job next year, in a floundering market here in Barely Metropolitan City, I'm beginning to realize it's probably not going to be one I want. I'm torn between satisfaction in my life, having a nice place to live, wonderful friends and family nearby, and poor job satisfaction, to taking a chance, going after my "dream job," uprooting my family, and possibly giving up the rest of the satisfaction, for a job I might not even like any better.


My husband believes I make many decisions based on complacency, my desire to keep the status quo and my lack of willingness to take a chance. Maybe that's true.


Anyway, in the spirit of taking a chance, I've decided to apply for the Presidential Management Fellows Program, as well as applying for jobs with the federal government. If I get interviews, great. If I don't, well, it wasn't meant to be. If I get a job offer in Washington, and none here, then I know my path. If I get job offers both in Washington and here, well, I'll have a lot of soul-searching to do.

6 comments:

LL said...

Those opportunities sound exciting - good luck! I think as long as you're always open to new possibilities and paths to take, you won't ever truly be stuck.

Cecilia said...

In my experience, it's a lot easier to get a job in a market when you have some connection to that market. Do you have any friends in DC whose address you could use on your resume? Any connections you can tap?

Proto Attorney said...

I do. Several of my grad school classmates live there now, and we have a very active and supportive alumni (it's a very small program). Honestly, it would probably be easier to get a job in DC than locally.

PT-LawMom said...

Go you! I think it's a great idea to do it from the get-go rather than trying to chase down government opportunities down the line when it might be a more difficult choice (pay cut and/or move). Go for it. :)

newduck said...

Hey! I went for the PMF and didn't get it, but I have a friend who did. If you want me to put you in touch with him, just send me an e-mail and I'll set it up (ka4037 at yahoo). Also, I'm happy to tell you about the test - it's not top secret info or anything.

bob said...

go for whatever looks good to you. what's the worst that can happen?
what's the best that can happen?
probably better than you think.