Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Champagne and sour grapes



Last night was our 2-year wedding anniversary. We technically celebrated on Saturday, sans baby, since we had a sitter. We got gussied up and went to a fancy dinner. Last night we cooked at home, and celebrated by having family time, watching the results come in from Montana and South Dakota, and drinking a bottle of Dom Perignon 1995*. We toasted to our happy family, two years of marriage, and the primary finally being over (and Obama being the nominee).

What I'm disappointed about is how many Democrats are refusing to stand behind Obama now that he's taken the nomination. Yes, it was a tough race, and for awhile there, it was a very close race. There were two very strong, impressive candidates. But it's over. And it's time to focus on November, instead of pouting because Clinton didn't get the nomination. There are some serious sour grapes out there, who instead of fighting for Obama, say they will either vote for McCain or stay home, and in the same breath complain that Obama can never win the White House and Clinton was the only candidate who could. Democrats have a choice. Either back Obama, or accept four (possibly eight) more years of GOP stink in the White House. Four more years of trying to sustain a war we've already lost. Four more years of ignoring the real problems in this country and, instead, focusing on snatching away even more rights from Americans. Hell, if we keep the same foreign policy, then we'll probably add a few more "preemptive" wars to all our problems too.

Before our state's primary, I spent some time canvassing for the Obama campaign. I came across a lot of Clinton supporters, most of whom said they would vote for Obama if he took the nomination. I hope that's true. In response, I told them that if Clinton took the nomination, that I would be out canvassing for her next. I hope the party can come together, and stop the squabbling. Yes, I understand it hurts for all those people who dreamed of seeing Hillary Clinton as president, as the first woman president. I'd love to see a woman president, too. But I won't vote for someone just because she's a woman, or just because a person is black, or even just because the person is a Democrat. I've voted for local Republicans before (although admittedly in my state there isn't much difference between a Democrat and a Republican, they're all conservative).

Anyway, it's time to celebrate. The primary is over. And it's time to look forward to November.


*It was a wedding gift, we finally decided to drink it. We're entirely too cheap to buy expensive champagne. Twenty dollars is the most I spend on wine/champagne, and that's for a good bottle!

8 comments:

Tranny Head said...

I think those people will come around before November when they realize the implications of the alternative . . . they're just pissed off right now and need some space.

Proto Attorney said...

I sure hope so... the local reaction has been really ugly. (We're in a heavily pro-Hillary state. I'm tired of seeing the really obnoxious notes popping up from classmates on Facebook.) Whew. We need some unity real quick, not more ugly.

Andrea said...

Happy anniversary! We buy cheap wine and champagne too...I am unsophisticated and can't taste the difference above a certain point.

jacky said...

I have to make myself come around to Barack. Its hard for me! :-( But lets see who he picks for VP-- doesn't have to be Hillary, but has to be someone "good". I liked him until the speech on race and the preacher incident. Now I feel uncomfortable. Hopefully he can make me feel better. I am in a heavily pro democratic state,(Maryland) so even if I don't vote, it doesn't rate to matter---- tho I have voted in every election since I was 18 (I am 50)

Proto Attorney said...

I can completely understand the Rev. Wright thing, the things that man has said are outrageous. But at the same time, I don't fault the Obamas for belonging to his church, and admiring him in spite of the crazy. I adore my priest; he baptized me, married me, baptized my daughter. I would appreciate his support if I ran for office, but good lord, I wouldn't want anyone to confuse some of the completely crazy things he says with what I personally believe!

But Obama's speech on race is what really made me respect him. I thought it was an honest, and difficult, look at race in America, looking at racism from both sides. It's really a phenomenal speech.

Here's a full text version:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/18/obama-race-speech-read-t_n_92077.html

It's definitely worth another read.

Proto Attorney said...

Sorry, that full link is:


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/18/
obama-race-speech-read-t_n_92077.html

jacky said...

Wow, I just read the entire speech. WOW. Really a different impression when I read the whole thing.

I am liking him much better.....

Thanks.........:-)

jacky said...

OH and Happy Anniversary!!!