Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Interviews

You know your interview isn’t going well when your interviewer starts suggesting other places you should apply. Ugh. She wouldn’t stop telling me how I don’t want the job long enough for me to tell her why I wanted the job and what I wanted to get out of it. Considering it’s an unpaid internship, I wouldn’t be there if I didn’t really want it. I’m going to send a thank you letter outlining, again, that I’m interested in the job because of X, Y, and Z, hoping it sinks in. Apparently the fact that I’m in law school and interested in a job outside of a law firm didn’t make sense. She kept saying that the job isn’t law, it’s business. Yes, I understand that. But it is law; researching trade regulations so that businesses can comply with the laws of other nations, sounds like law to me. A law degree isn’t just for standing up in a courtroom in front of a judge. And I’m not working on a degree in international commerce to practice insurance defense, dammit.

I should have realized that sooner. I got complacent, just satisfied with having a job and a paycheck. I should have been in DC last summer, or even abroad. I should have started my job search in the fall. I let comfort and familiarity stall my career goals. It's time to step up the effort and stop settling for mediocrity. Just because my grades are mediocre, doesn't mean my career has to be.

4 comments:

Cee said...

ugh, it's so frustrating to have interviews like that. Keep up the hard work on the job search-- getting a job seems harder than working a job...

Law Student Hot Mama said...

Can you send a thank you note with a giant picture of a middle finger in it? Just a thought . . .

Anonymous said...

I can relate to this post. I had similar experiences interviewing with a few different corporations last fall. Anyway, one company eventually realized the value of my law degree and ended up offering me a pretty sweet job. So keep your hopes up and keep on trying.
~Dagny

Butterflyfish said...

I love your attitude. LOVE IT!!!

But I can sooooo relate to your interview story. I stopped writing rejection stories on my blog -- it was so effing depressing -- but I had dozens more BEYOND the ones I blogged about. And I had this experience, though for a paying job.

Its ridiculous. All of it. And I hate it.

You, however, will go far. Because you won't settle for a mediocre career.