Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Goings on

I haven't updated in awhile, I've been really busy and just trying to get stuff done.

I had a job interview last week, and I have a job offer. It's part time, but that's okay, because that would free me up to do other things. I have an interview this week for an internship with the WTC, which is part time, unpaid. Finally, I have an interview during spring break with a firm that does, of course, insurance defense. But one of the partners is one of the best mediators in the state. Working with him would be a great experience. So, we'll see. Obviously the extra money of a full time position would be nice, but the part time position appeals to me the most. It's a small plaintiff's firm, mostly products liability cases. A change of pace would be nice, and the people there seemed easy going. It'll be a tough choice to make, because I'd love to work with that mediator, but I really don't want to get pigeon holed into insurance defense. And it's not like I'll be doing a lot with the mediator, other than sitting in on mediations. He's an adjunct professor at the law school and teaches a course in ADR. I'd probably learn more there.

Anyway, that's what I've got going on. I'm dangerously behind in reading for two of my classes. The other three I've kept up with well enough. I got an A on my Italian midterm, and I'm getting started on my project, most of which is translating a portion of a Canto from Dante's Inferno. I'm also translating a lullaby, and a recipe. The lullaby will be easy (lullaby's are generally non-sensical anyway), and but the recipe might be a little more difficult to get exact. Anyway, the Canto will be tough, I know this. It's older Italian and there's some Latin thrown in too. But if I'm going to improve my Italian, I need to challenge myself.

The other thing I need to do is start studying for my grad school comps. I'm not too worried, except for the portion relating to IGO's, because I've only had one course on transnational organizations, and the rest of my work has been in more specific areas, such as in trade. Also, the professor I will have on my comps board for that is likely to destroy me. She gave me the only B I had in grad school, and I worked hard for that B.

One class at which I definitely fail? Cake decorating class. Fortunately it's finally over (I'm so sick of cake). Here are my cakes:


Rainbow. With a big frosting turd at the bottom.



Those are supposed to be grapes and roses. It looks more like squished cabbage.



Penis cakes. These were actually for the bachelorette party last weekend. I made good use of the equipment I purchased for the class, although my friend actually decorated these because I ran out of time. I baked them though, and made all the frosting. There was also a penis-shaped jello shot, which is the green at the top of the picture. Good times. We pre-gamed at the shower, and then took the bride out for some karaoke, while wearing lots of penis. The bride is a big X-Files fan, so our artist friend (who decorated the penis cakes) also made this shower game:



Pin the red speedo on David Duchovny. The best shower game. Ever.

This week is the women's law caucus luncheon (so happy that will finally be over), the last week of school before spring break, and this weekend we're headed to Florida for our friends' wedding.

And we're more than half way through the semester. I can't wait until finals are over and summer is here!

5 comments:

PT-LawMom said...

LOL!! Girl, you have the wackiest school schedule. I love the cakes. :) Sounds positive that at least you have some job choices to check out. Hope things start to work out for you soon.

Shelley said...

The cakes crack me up! You're much braver than I am - I just order them through Costco. (Although I'm pretty sure they don't make penis cakes!)

Have a wonderful time in Florida -- I'm so envious!

Law Student Hot Mama said...

I'm glad you said it was a penis cake, because I was afraid that if it was supposed to be a rabbit or something I was going to have to tell you it looked phallic . . .

Kathryn said...

Congrats on getting an A on your midterm! I too fail at all things mommy-talent related. I bought my son's 1st birthday cake and I feel no shame. I hope you have a great time here in Florida, the weather has been beautiful lately.

Cee said...

I always wondered why the plural of penis wasn't "peni" (I would pronounce it peen-eye). Love those cakes :)