Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New direction

Trying to figure out what to do with myself this summer. I'm papering the town with my resume, but I'm not sure I really want to work at another law firm. I think the collective number of assholes I've worked for, coupled with being dicked over by the only non-asshole lawyers I'd ever worked for, has left me with a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to law firms. All along I've wanted to get on at a corporation as in-house counsel, but those jobs are difficult to land. But maybe I don't want to actually practice law at all. Why not use my JD in a different way? I'm thinking something more along the lines of marketing and trade promotion. I have the hookup for a Dept of Commerce internship, I'm thinking of going that direction. That doesn't mean I won't still end up at a law firm, but I feel like I need to explore other options.

This summer, I want to concentrate on getting my language skills up to par in Italian, and brushing up on my very rusty Spanish. I still read Spanish with some element of fluency, but my oral and listening skills are embarrassingly bad. My high school Spanish teacher would be ashamed. I think it's time to stop talking about a career in the international sector, and start making it happen. That may very well require moving, and that's a discussion we'll need to have over the next year and a half.

It might do me some good to get out. I've never lived anywhere else. We almost moved to Chicago three years ago for law school, but I decided to stay. I'm not sure if that was a mistake or not. I loved my graduate program, but honestly, I don't feel I got my money's worth with my legal education. While I've had some really good professors (and some really crappy ones), there have been many disappointments. A lack of opportunities, especially, and a lack of courses I wanted to take. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I'd made different choices. We probably wouldn't have Cora, unless Husband could have gotten a really good job in Chicago to make up for the increase in cost of living. While most of his family is in Chicago, they're mostly in the suburbs, so we'd either have lived there and commuted, or we wouldn't have had a support system so close as we do now. Also, I probably would have frozen to death. But it would have been an adventure. I just thought there would be a job for me here, and now I'm not so sure there will be. And I wonder if I'd be selling myself short to settle for a job in insurance defense, or family law, or medical malpractice, when what I really want to do is work in international trade.

3 comments:

jacky said...

Not very exciting, but good pay and good benefits- check into the US Patent and Trademark Office-- the Trademark Office side. You can be a grade 14 and have lots of flexibility. Down side its boring. Downside you have to live in DC area- at least in the beginning-- we have a flexiplace system-- you would be able to move anywhere in continental US after a few years more than likely. Just a thought.,.....

Cee said...

I feel disappointed in my school too. I definately feel like there is a lack of opportunity where I am (unless you are in the top 15%) and I feel like there is no variety in classes.

Maybe it's just not an employee's market when it comes to legal jobs. I think the seattle area market is pretty saturated....makes me want to move to a small town in the middle of nowhere.

newduck said...

Along the lines of what Jacky said, you might want to look into the Presidential Management Fellowship. It's a pretty good deal. You have to take a test for it your 3L year and you don't find out whether you got it until right before graduation, but it's a good option. The test itself is 4 hours, but if you get the job I think it's well worth it.