Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Job hunting

I mailed out seventy resumes last week, with cover letters written specifically for each firm/area of specialty. I've already started getting the rejection letters. At least it isn't personal; they all say, oh sorry, your resume looks great and we would have interviewed you, but we already filled our positions. Good to know that if my previous employer hadn't dicked me over, I might have had a chance of finding a job. Now it's almost March and most places have already hired.

I just called our state's Dept. of Economic Development, located 25 minutes away in the state capital. They have a division of international trade, and I'd really like to intern there, but that's apparently placed through the governor's office. We have a new administration this year (thankfully), but I don't know if they have the funds for the internships, if they're paid. Also, the local world trade center has a part-time unpaid internship, which would make for a fun, although rather unproductive, summer. And my writing club's instructor said he would check around for me as well. He found two of my classmates jobs last summer, I'm hoping he might be able to help me out.

Anyway, I just wish I didn't have to waste so much time looking for a job when I need to be studying. There won't be much updating going on here thanks to my tax final on Wednesday, Italian midterm next week and desperate attempts at catching up with the rest of my homework. Not to mention my graduate school comps studying, of which I'm terribly behind. Oh yeah, and Cora was sick last week and I didn't sleep for two days straight. Then we had family in town this weekend and the Barrister's Ball. It just never slows down! Maybe I deserve a summer of part-time interning.


Cora and her friends, the little yellow ducks



5 comments:

Rayne of Terror said...

I spent my first summer after having a baby working Tues, Thurs in child support enforcement for the State's Atty's office and it worked out pretty well. I don't do family law now, but it comes in handy. A laid back gov't experience was my goal for that summer.

LL said...

It really doesn't ever slow down- 7 months later I'm still hoping for a quiet weekend... I'm sorry you're having to do so much job hunt work, I really hope something turns up- the internships do sound cool.

And your baby is absolutely adorable - the look of pure joy and adoration for her ducks just cracks me up!

Cee said...

oh my goodness, she's getting so big! She has the kind of cheeks that great aunts would kill to pinch :)

good luck with the job hunt, its a tough market out there... Sounds like you got a lot of ideas and opportunities to look into!

Shelley said...

Wow -- she is really growing! She doesn't look like a newborn any longer. And those ducks look like a lot of fun. :)

Brittmae said...

Totally stumbled on your blog, but I agree that your daughter is adorable and I love your name choice! I am married but don't have any kids yet and starting 1L this fall and have always loved the name Cora for a little girl. I am sorry for your troubles--hang in there! I am sure someone will see what you will have to offer, and you don't have to go into trade work right away to land there someday. Best--