Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Day Eleven

I didn't get around to updating on Day Ten, I spent too much time at the hospital, sans laptop, and then home, finishing my insurance outline finally. I'm going to see about taking the insurance final on Wednesday and begging for mercy and getting a couple week extension on taking the tax final. And since Cora's coming home soon, I'd best get to studying!

Cora got moved out to the floor yesterday from the PICU. I like the PICU better, but am glad she's well enough to be out of there. In the PICU she had her own nurse (if she shared her nurse, it was with only one other patient). On the floor, her nurse has lots of patients and they aren't real attentive. They're nice enough, and they get you something if you need it, but it's clear they expect the parents to be there to take care of the kids, not them. Although since they're getting paid to take care of my kid, I rather think I should be getting total diaper amnesty, but whatever. Husband is spending the night at the hospital with her now, and then I will go there in the morning to relieve him. We're going to have one of us there at all times, mostly because we're not real comfortable with the security on the floor. So, basically we get to take care of our kid, but without the convenience and comfort of doing so in our own home. Cora's still on just a wiff of oxygen, which hopefully she will come off of in the next day or so, and then I don't see what more they would keep her for. She's not getting anymore IV fluids, she's eating well, she's breathing well, and her incision is healing nicely. She's doing great, a remarkable change from a week ago when she nearly died. And to think, she was only supposed to have been born yesterday! She's lived a pretty full life in these past four weeks.

We wonder if Cora won't be a different baby now that she'll be completely healthy. She really labored in her breathing before she got sick, which I think contributed to her not eating well, not latching on, and not sucking for comfort. Yesterday, she did something she's never done before -- sucked her thumb for comfort. Her poor little hand. They still have the IV in, but it's heplocked. Just when the bruises from the IVs in the NICU had finally gone away, she gets new ones (plus some!)

4 comments:

Cee said...

she is such a fighter! and so strong! I'm so glad she is doing better!

Butterflyfish said...

What an amazing baby girl.

And go Mommy -- I might yet get a C in Tax and I *didn't* go through what you did!! (still waiting)

Shelley said...

I am so glad she's doing so well! I can't believe the scares you've gone through in the last few months -- and you're going to take law school finals on top of that. It's pretty amazing!

Definitely try to take a spa day (or something like) once you're done with finals!

PT-LawMom said...

Hope they give you a break on tax! She is such a doll. Hope she gets to go home soon.