Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Friday, December 7, 2007

Puddles

My last 24 hours:

Thursday
12:00 p.m. Small amount of wetness in my panties. Figured since I was studying Insurance at the time, and not doing anything exciting, it might be amniotic fluid. Or I'd piddled. Changed my panties.

5:00 p.m. Small amount of wetness again. Still not sure if I'd ruptured. Decided to wait to see if anything else happened. Kept studying. Changed panties again.

11:00 p.m. Much more wetness. Decided I couldn't deny it any longer, I had to go to Labor and Delivery and have them check me. Packed a bag but left it at home since I wouldn't need it right away, picked out an outfit for the baby just in case, took my Insurance book and laptop with me, and drove to the hospital. (Husband was already at the hospital.)

Friday
12:00 a.m. Arrive at the hospital, and they don't think it's amniotic fluid. But the attending from High Risk is on hand, and so we go through the whole NST/ultrasound thing. She discloses that because of the fetal surgery in September, she expected me to rupture at some point and suspects I have even though there's no proof yet. Everything looks normal but they want to keep me for an hour or so and check me again.

2:00 a.m. Check me again, and while the slide comes back negative, there's a puddle, and I'm having lots of contractions. They admit me.

4:00 a.m. Husband finally gets coverage (as shit had gone bad wrong in the ICU and they needed an additional nurse anyway, so now they had to find two nurses). Pain, lots of pain. Getting cranky, because I don't deal well with pain. Finally get the epidural, which makes me light-headed and nauseous. But then I feel better and the pain is gone. I'm itchy, but they gave me some Benadryl. Contractions are 2 to 3 minutes apart.

Then... nothing. Contractions stop coming as frequently, I'm not dilated, and they think maybe I hadn't ruptured after all. I'm greatly annoyed by this. I've been poked and prodded and they might send me home? Ugh.

10:00 a.m. They check me again, find a big puddle and finally it tests as amniotic fluid. But since no labor is progressing, they start me on Pitocin.

1:30 p.m. Checked me again, I'm dilated to 1cm. They are increasing the Pitocin and hopefully something will come of it. Regardless, this baby comes out within the next 12 hours.

So, that's where we're at. Husband called the Dean's office this morning, and my professor, and notified them I would not be taking the insurance exam today. Which started 30 minutes ago. Figures I'd go into labor before the final I'm actually prepared for, but hey, it also gets me out of the tax final. Remind me to thank Baby for her excellent timing on that one.

And I'm highly amused by the possibility that if we can finally get this show on the road, my daughter will be born on the Day that Will Live in Infamy. I'm such a history geek, what can I say. My mood has been fine overall, just a few moments of crankiness when they keep checking my blood pressure with this cuff that keeps trying to cut off my arm (at shift change, my new nurse is kind enough to find a new one that doesn't hurt like hell). Also, I'm starving. I threatened to kill Husband and steal his food if he ate in front of me. Okay, so maybe I'm a little violent.

Oh well. 36 weeks exactly, which is absolutely excellent. Should have known she'd come early, since this weekend we would have had the nursery completely set up and actually been ready for her arrival. (And I imagine I'll be missing my CPR class next week, unless I'm Wonder Woman and just feel fantastic.) But Husband just needs to put on one more coat of paint, then the crib, dresser and chair can be assembled. His dad will be here to help and my mom will go through and wash all the baby clothes, and scrub down the hand-me-down stuff we got. Going to send Mommy out to buy diapers and hair bows. We'll get the rest of the hand-me-downs that aren't necessary yet, like swing and bouncy seat, eventually. Father-in-Law is going up to Chicago next weekend for Grandfather-in-Law's birthday, so he's going to pick up the rest of the stuff from Sister-in-Law.

By this time tomorrow, we'll be parents. There's this tupperware container set up in the room for the baby. Our baby. How freaky is that?

10 comments:

LL said...

YAY! Oh I'm so excited for you! Landon was exactly 36 weeks too- and the nursery was one more weekend from being all ready to go :) (and I was on Pitocin b/c even though my water broke, my body didn't feel like going into labor)

I hope everything goes well for you- don't be afraid to ask them to turn up the epidural near the end. It starts to wear off. Can't wait to hear all about it!!

divine angst said...

Ooh ooh ooh!! Congrats! How exciting that she's almost here!

sarah said...

aaaahhhh!!!!! congratulations, good luck, etc.! i can't believe you are in labor already!

legally certifiable said...

How exciting! I hope everything progesses well and you have an easy and pain-free labor.

CM said...

Wow -- I was expecting another exam post from you! Can't believe you're posting from the hospital bed. I posted the day the baby was born, but DURING labor? You definitely win the MILS award! Congratulations and keep us posted!!

Cecilia said...

Congratulations and good luck!

Kim said...

Wow!! This is so exciting! Congratulations, and I can't wait to hear the story!!!!!!!!! This is SO much better than finals. :)

Lindsay said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exciting! I can't believe you blogged from the hospital, though. You rock. ;) Good luck with the delivery!!!

Andrea said...

WHEE! We're so excited. You've come such a long way from when the baby was in trouble...can't wait to hear she's here and everything is well.

lawmom said...

You are hard core!!! how exciting congradulations!!!!!!!!!