Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Day and a half

Strange what changes a day and a half can bring. First, I'm a Mom! Holy crap! It just seemed so surreal at first, like there's this baby, and she sure looks like me, so she must be mine, but seriously, she was camping out in my abdomen for nearly nine months??? Completely unreal!

Second, maternal craziness. That maternal instinct caught me by surprise last night when I headed up to the NICU at 2 am with my night shift nurse so she could help me try breastfeeding again (she hasn't been latching on yet). When we got there, I could hear a baby squalling and I cheerfully commented that sure sounds like my kid! (It was.) Well, her nurse had just pricked her little foot and was getting a blood sample. No big deal, but she was sure mad about it though. However, it for some reason absolutely broke my heart to actually see it, regardless of the fact that I had known it was occurring, and I just suddenly started crying! I just wanted that mean nurse to stop poking my kid! Crazy, huh? Anyway, the rest of the time I think I've acted like a perfectly sane and rational human being. But it's only been a day and half since delivery. I have plenty more time for crazy to set in.

Third, I feel much better today. (Here comes the TMI part.) I can actually get out of bed without squalling in pain, and the pumping contraption no longer feels like it's going to rip off a boob. There's a vast improvement! I'm still too scared to actually examine the area from whence Cora came... I'm pretty sure viewing that would scar me for life. Even as small as she was, I guess delivery came on so quickly, they still had to use forceps, which they advised causes more "trauma" for me, and I've been stitched up as well (I really don't want to see that). I'm not sure if I have any hemorrhoid action going on. Husband reluctantly offered to view the area for me and let me know. I asked him if he really wanted to do that. He said absolutely not, but he'd do what must be done. I told him I'd ask one of the nurses on the clock instead.

On an even more amusing level, I have to comment on Husband's involvement in the actual delivery. The whole time I was pregnant he kept talking about how he wanted nothing to do with anything going on down there. Amusing coming from a man who has not only been to several births, but by his own description "wipes ass" for a living. He advised he would be staying close to my head, holding my hand and would not be "participating." Even though he's seen it before, he said he had no desire to see it happening to his wife. However, as soon as we were in there, the Nurse took over from Grossed Out Husband and he's grabbed hold of a leg and is all up in the middle of things. I asked afterwards if he was disturbed by the sight of his child's head "plowing through his favorite playground"? (as I once read in one of the many pregnancy books that many fathers are) His response: "Eh, not really. It actually looked less like a playground and more like a war zone at the time." Heh.

Today, however, I'm getting discharged! No word yet when Cora gets sprung, but we'll get to talk to the attending tomorrow (and we'll also discuss her future medical treatment). I like the convenience of being in the hospital to see her whenever I can, and this certainly isn't an unhappy hospital stay like it was after the shunting surgery, but I think I will feel more human once I'm no longer kept prisoner at the hospital and I'm wearing actual clothes. Overall, I can't complain about the stay here though. The nurses have been really good (it helps to be married to a nurse who works here, I'm sure!) and even the food is pretty good. They just switched caterers, and I'm pretty impressed. It's like Applebee's quality food, instead of like high school cafeteria food. Dinner last night was chicken wrapped in prosciutto with a creamy sauce. Not bad at all.

So that's what's going on here. I have to admit that as excited as I am, I'm also a little freaked out about taking Cora home, considering I have very little experience with newborns. I'm told that newborns are pretty resilient though and a combination of the information in books and some common sense will get me through. I just need to remember to diaper the correct end of the baby and also master the swaddle. I tried the swaddle on her last night. It didn't go so well. It worked just fine on the stuffed bear at the baby class, so I don't know what went wrong. My kid just stared up at me as though I were a complete moron. I have a feeling I'll see that look quite a bit over the next 18 years.

6 comments:

Kim said...

My thoughts while I was leaving the hospital after my first was born went something like this: "No way. They're just going to let me walk out of here with her? Don't they realize that I have no idea what I'm doing? Surely someone is going to stop me?!" They didn't stop me, of course, and I figured it out as I went along, just like you will. :) Congratulations again!

PT-LawMom said...

1) The crying is completely normal (hormone surge). Don't be surprised if you start crying for absolutely no reason. Have your legs swelled up yet?

2) Don't look!

3) LOL on the war zone!!!

4) Hope you get out and Cora follows quickly. Pumpkinhead was in the NICU for a week and it was the hardest week of my life.

newduck said...

Your little girl is ADORABLE and it makes me so impatient to have my own. Congrats on keeping it together through the surgery, law school finals, and what sounds like an amazing birth. Seriously, if you can do all that, you're going to be a pro at mothering.

Shelley said...

I had my meltdown on Day 2, and recovered fairly well by the next day. However, seeing the Peach really cry for the first time (instead of a little mouse sound) when she was bathed sent me into hysterics. Matthew thought (and said) "Cool!!!" because it was the first time we heard her really scream.

Hormones. It does get a lot better! The first week is really hard - just go one day at a time and you'll do great!

Cee said...

I love babies, I'm already addicted to your blog :)

PT-LawMom said...

How's it going?