Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Another post with TMI

Okay, I am soooooo over pregnancy. My pelvis now pops, and is quite painful, when I roll over in bed. That's just wrong. There should not be popping sounds, ever, coming from my vagina. I didn't leave the bed until 4pm today. I have some more nasty sinus congestion, can't take anything that actually works, and pretty much my entire body hurts, especially my pelvis. Second most, my back hurts, and then my chest hurts from all the heartburn and baby feet in my ribs. Get. It. Out.

We have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow morning (after yet another NST). They were kind enough to schedule the appointment without asking me first, (when the appointment was going to be set up for Wednesday) so I'm missing two classes for it. Hopefully the fact that they scheduled it for the next business day means they are actually concerned enough with us that they felt meeting with us immediately was necessary, so we have a plan in case I go into pre-term labor. (Doubt it, but that's what I'm hoping.)

Anyway, we were less than pleased when we had our appointment on Wednesday. First, they didn't even have us down for an appointment (but fortunately squeezed us in), then they hadn't even talked to the doctors at Children's (they had to ask us what the results of the MRI were). I asked if there would be an actual delivery plan. That would be "no." We were back to the "NST's twice weekly and an ultrasound." Ugh. Of course I curtly pointed out, again, that we are paying for that out of pocket, and it suddenly wasn't necessary anymore. I really don't think they even know why they do NST's, they've yet to even explain the reason, but that it's just the usual protocol. Sorta like getting your weight, temperature and blood pressure when you go to the doctor for a sore throat. Only crazily expensive and inconvenient. Also, one doctor indicated she didn't even believe the weekly ultrasounds are necessary any longer, so I'm going to remind her of that next time we see them and discuss that idea in depth.

I have a feeling the surgeon will have something different to say about there not being a delivery plan though. I can't imagine they want to just wait for me to go into labor, and stay on stand-by for however long it takes to get the baby out, and risk being called in to perform emergency surgery at 3am on Christmas or New Year's. And there's no way in hell I'm letting a resident touch my baby. No way. It's either the attending (who did his fellowship under our doctor at Children's), or I'll just be delivering at the other university hospital and letting the group at Children's do the surgery, even if it does cost us a small fortune.

Now I just have to get through the next week of class, and two weeks of finals. Even all the work I did over Thanksgiving did not get me caught up, and staying in bed all day today didn't help. Ugh. Not only am I over pregnancy, but I'm over this semester too. I'll just be glad to pass with C's.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I still don't know how you do it all... but as far as the NSTs, they are a way to make sure the baby is still doing well. The higher risk the pregnancy, the more closely they want to monitor her. It tracks her heart rate as well as whether your uterus is contracting or not, which it can do without you feeling it. There are certain patterns they look for (different types of something called variability) both in her heart rate on its own and in relation to any contractions you may be having. Certain patterns are reassuring, others are a sign that she's not handling the stress very well. The reason they want to do it so often is because a change in the NST is one of the first signs that they need to intervene sooner rather than later. Unfortunately there's no other way to get that information, and relying on feeling her movement isn't nearly as early an indicator as the NST if she starts to do poorly. As far as a birth plan, the situation may be complicated enough that they need to just sort of go with the flow and address problems as they come up rather than try to predict them, but beyond that, I'm not sure. Although this has never happened to you before, I'm sure they've been through it before and know what to do for whatever happens. If it bothers you, it might not hurt to say something because they might not realize they're giving you that impression. I don't know the specifics of your baby's situation, but if you ever have any questions feel free to email me. I might not be able to answer them, but I can try. Anyway, good luck with the baby and your exams!