Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Things that crack me up

One of my law school friends is ranked #4 in our class. He got a swank summer job offer at Big Firm making $2300 per week in the Big City an hour north of us (where I had surgery). Oh, I'm sorry, that's actually $2308 per week, that extra $8 was definitely the deal-maker. Anyway, he expects to get a job offer after law school, since they've offered jobs to every summer clerk except for one (who apparently sucked big time).

Anyway, today I was talking about how I preferred working later hours, rather than going in earlier and leaving earlier, and was glad my firm offered that flexibility, because I am not a morning person. Number Four replies that he'd prefer to go in about 8:30 and leave at 5:30. I chuckled and told him I hope he doesn't expect to be working those hours as a new attorney at Big City Big Firm, it'll be more like 8 am to 10pm plus weekends. He was like, oh no, I won't be working that much!

Ahahahahaha. The poor guy actually thinks he'll be working a 40-hour work week, and that Big City Big Firm will be paying him $130,000 a year starting salary to leave early, take long lunches, and play golf in the afternoons. Just goes to show you, getting top grades sure doesn't mean you're smart.

4 comments:

J said...

Ha! No kidding. That dream will be dead in no time.

PT-LawMom said...

Hahahahaha! I work in BigLaw and the reality is that most of the partners and associates roll in between 9:30 and 10, but then they're here equally late. There are a few corner office partner early risers (in at 7 a.m. or so), but they, too, tend to stay late.

CM said...

You're kidding.

Although I am hoping, and this might be totally unrealistic too, that I can do the 8 to 5:30 and put in the rest of my hours from home at night most days. We'll see. Hopefully it will work out that way at least some days.

PT-LawMom said...

There are some women who can escape by 6/6:30 and work from home at night. A lot of them make the morning time kid time. Or they come in early and leave early, but it just depends on the partner you work for and the status of the project.