Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Friday, September 7, 2007

They sprung me

I got to the hospital at 8am, and left at 4pm. Long day, but so far, so good. Okay, I wouldn't say good. I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach and I'm still a little loopy from the happy drugs. But the procedure was successful, they made an incision, shoved needles into my belly, were able to break up the cysts and drain some fluid, and installed two shunts. Fortunately, the fetus cooperated this time and they were able to perform the surgery without too much trouble. I had my first experience with epidural, which numbed basically everything chest down. However, I could still very much feel the shoving of needles into my belly. It wasn't pain, like needle prick, it was just like being punched in the stomach.

I'm pretty exhausted. We're spending another night with our friends, and returning to Children's tomorrow for a follow-up ultrasound to make sure the shunts have stayed in (otherwise, guess what we get to do again!). The cyst was apparently shrunk enough that the heart is back where it's supposed to be, relieving the main stresser on the fetus. Hopefully the fetus doesn't decide those look like fun to pull out and play with, I'll be pissed. We're now just waiting and hoping the fluid retention (the hydrops) resolves. If it does, we're in dramatically better shape. (If not, then no baby). Then we just have to make sure that the cyst doesn't get big enough to squish everything else again, which is what the shunts are for. So long as the shunts continue to work, we're in good shape. However, they can easily clog, or pop out, or be pulled out by a grabby fetus (fortunately, ours were put in the back, should make it a lot harder to pull out). The amnio results came back good, and if the hydrops resolves, we'll know 100% what brand of baby we're having. We're hoping we can make it to 30 weeks without popping a shunt, and definitely without hydrops reoccurring. We can't deliver the baby safely with hydrops, even when full term, so we have to keep careful watch. Back to High Risk Ghetto Clinic!

I'm going to convince my doctor there I need a handicap parking tag for 2nd Tier Law School, since I'm being put on physical restrictions to avoid popping out a shunt. If I pop 'em out very quickly, I'm likely to end up on bedrest when they reinstall them, which I'd very much like to avoid. Of course, getting a handicap parking tag at the University, even temporarily is ridiculous. To get one from the state, you just have your doctor sign the form. The University, however, won't accept the state's handicap parking tags (I had this problem when I had mono in undergrad). So I'll have to get my doctor to fill out the form, attach supplemental medical proof of my condition, and wait to be rejected. Damn parking nazis.

3 comments:

evoexplorer said...

hello...

LawSchoolMom said...

Wow. You're going back to school this semester? Take care of yourself and your baby. You are in my thoughts.

PT-LawMom said...

Sending lots of sticky shunt vibes your way. Hope they stay put and you feel better really soon!