Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Being a mess

Okay, I've felt like complete crap all weekend, and it's really frustrating. It started on Friday evening with complete exhaustion. Then Saturday it was crying for no reason. Then today it was crying because my moot court brief is just not coming along and I don't want to do the brief at all anymore, as well as complete exhaustion, leading me to waste a lot of time sleeping. A lot. I don't know what it is. Pregnancy hormones? Stress? Being in law school? Impending birthday? A combination of all of those things?

I'm a mess. I don't know how to stop being a mess and get back on track. I worked on the brief all weekend, reading through research and trying to get motivated, and I'm just hitting a wall. I don't know how I'm going to get the brief done in time, and even if I do, it will be awful. We get one credit hour just for doing the brief and oral arguments, and if we make moot court, we get two extra hours (for all the stuff we have to do in the spring and next year). However, I'm really doubtful I will make moot court at this point. I just can't seem to pull it together for some reason. I know I need to snap out of it. Suck it up, write the damn brief, and stop being a whiny ass. But all I want to do is sleep.

Miracle cure advice for laziness and lack of motivation?

6 comments:

legally certifiable said...

Umm, sweetie, it isn't laziness, it's pregnancy. You probably need the sleep. I mean, you are growing a person inside of you and all. And pregnancy hormones definitely make you more teary. Let's see...pregnancy + law school + extra stressful pregnancy + extracurriculars = if you weren't a mess you'd be superhuman. Give yourself a little break, cry if you want to, and then you can push through.

Shelley said...

I'm guessing it's your body telling you that you're doing too much. (I know, I would have hated it if someone had said that to me, so I apologize!) But...can you cut back on school, maybe a class or two, to give yourself breathing/sanity room? Time to nest? The classes will still be there after delivery.

PT-LawMom said...

I agree with LC - get some rest and then get up and try again. I was completely exhausted while pregnant, which is one of the reasons I haven't done it again yet. I laid on one of the attorney's couches during every lunch hour and often slept, using my cell alarm so I wouldn't stay there all afternoon. Then when I got home, I would crash for two hours before getting up and doing something productive. Give yourself permission to nap! I used to hate when people would tell me this, but you'll miss sleep when it's gone! Hope things get better soon.

Henny Penny said...

Put yourself before your moot court brief. In the scheme of things it is not a big deal to ask the moot court advisor for extra time. I didn't turn in my brief until after the first practice round with no ill effects. I passed and was told by the judges I was one of the best they heard. My motivation just wasn't there. I needed major sleep the fall semester I was pregnant. Ask for the time you need, being pregnant is not a cop out.

CM said...

Miracle cure? I prescribe taking a walk with a friend and an ice cream cone, followed by a long nap.

Good luck.

Nola said...

Hi - I found your blog from a link on LagLiv's. I totally remember being profoundly sleepy during much of pregnancy. Actually, I felt the same during Professional Responsibility on Friday and I haven't been pregnant for almost four years.

Anyway, my daughter was a 27 week preemie, due to my having pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. It all sucks. But you're in really good shape - after 30 weeks things are a lot easier for the baby. Get the rest you need. Feel free to email me if you want to commiserate about preemies or being a 2L.