Disclaimer

This blog is not intended to provide legal advice, legal services or legal anything else. Don't sue me. All I have is debt anyway.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

First post

I'm creating this blog because:

1. I'm just finishing my 1L year, so now I can legitimately say I know something about law school.

2. I just confirmed I am 5 weeks pregnant, and am expected to birth during the winter break between Fall and Spring semester my 2L year.

3. The first thing I did was google "pregnant law student" to find stories from other women who've been there and done it, or in the process of birthin' babies while attending law school.

4. While I have a personal blog, that's private for only friends and family, I found the stories from other women who are pregnant and attending law school so reassuring and informative, but so few in number, that I felt that making my stories public could possibly have the same effect on other women. I have insight to share, and dammit, maybe someone will read it and take something good from it.

Questions you might have, stumbling upon this blog:

1. Yes, I did this on purpose. Although, admittedly, we didn't think it would happen so soon. While I'm not that old, I'm also no spring chicken, and I've been on The Pill for a decade. I thought it might take up to a year to conceive. Nope. Apparently we're both quite fertile, even pushing 30.

2. I'm married, and we are just about to celebrate our 1-year wedding anniversary. We've been together for over 5 years, lived together for over 3 years, and being a 1L this year, it's a bloody miracle we managed to find the time to have sex at all.

3. We are financially stable. Husband is an RN, and he makes more money than I am likely to make for at least the first few years as a new attorney. We own our own home. We are able to eat at nice restaurants and buy grown-up furniture. Baby will have a college fund, and no one has to work three jobs, or be on WIC or anything of the like. Granted, we will now have to budget our money, but Baby will want for naught.

4. We have a good support system. One of my girlfriends just had a baby over Christmas, one more is due in August, and another is only three weeks further along than I am. It will be easy to pick up an extra infant in exchange for a night at the library or a dinner out with the Husband. Okay, so maybe not easy per se, but doable. Husband only works three shifts a week, and also, he works nights, which means four nights a week, he's all over the midnight and two and four and six a.m. feedings. Also, Baby's Maternal Grandma lives in town and is eager to babysit Baby. Baby's Paternal Grandparents are two hours away, and I'm sure we'll have to get a restraining order to get rid of them, just like Maternal Grandma.

5. I'm well aware of what challenges are ahead. Does that mean I'm prepared to meet them head-on, with all the grace and aptitude and strength of Wonder Woman? Hell no! It's just like being a 1L. You can read all the books, articles, websites you want, talk to a million people who've done it before, and you will still not be prepared for what it's really like. It's hard. It's exhausting. It's demoralizing. It's frustrating. But is it worth it? If it's what you really want, then of course it is.

I am keeping this blog anonymous for privacy reasons, although much of the information I will probably give out here wouldn't make it that hard to figure out who I am, or at least what law school I attend. (There's only 50 choices, afterall.) But I wanted my audience to be strangers, not friends and family (afterall, they read my personal blog). There probably won't be much to offer over the summer, as I will just be working as a summer associate at a law firm where I previously worked as a legal assistant for two years prior to leaving to attend law school. But this fall will be the biggest challenge -- I will start my 2L year in my 2nd trimester, and try to deal with what will be my busiest and stressful semester as my body inflates into a large beachball and I deal with pregnancy woes. This summer will probably be some introspective posts on law school in general, dealings with student health insurance and student health services, and ohmygodIthinkmybreastshavealreadygottenbigger.

Tune in. Should be some riveting stuff. Feel free to contact me, via leaving a comment, in the meantime. Feedback is always welcome.

4 comments:

PT-LawMom said...

Wow, good luck to you! I'll look forward to hearing how you juggle it all. :)
PT-LawMom
http://ptlawmom.com

Rayne of Terror said...

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Rayne, and I too had a child January of my 2L year. He's now 2 1/2 years old. I kept a blog from just before the birth through graduation, but have closed it while I job hunt and study for the bar.

Shelley said...

Another (future) female attorney married to an RN! Love to see it. :) Have you gotten him the Male Nurse Action Figure yet?

In My Mind said...

I'm glad I found your blog and so far love the insight that you have posted. I too am thinking about TTC while in law school for much of the same reasons that you and your hubby did. The only problem (worries) for me is the actual pregnancy because I recently lost my first child after 8 1/2 months.